Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Billyj, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Does anyone use this with their chickens? I read somewhere that it helps with Cocci, improves feathering, and egg production. Can anyone elaborate a little more??

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I use it but can't say it does anything except boost the immune system. I haven't noticed anything more than that on mine when I don't use it as much in the winter. In the summer it is great to keep the algae from growing over night in the water containers, as I have well water. And when I rinse and refill every day I don't feel as much slime in them as when I forget to use it for a few days. So it does double duty.

There are 2 pens in my front pasture that seldom ever get any in them and those birds look and seem to do just as well as ones that get it 3 times a week. I just forget to take the jug up to the front when I do theirs but haven't noticed anything different. Still and all, I believe it helps with the immune system since I also add garlic to the gallon of ACV.

3. Billyj

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    How do you mix it? What is the ratio?

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I'm not sure of ratio--but know there are several on BYC that do use it to help keep water fresh--but I do know DO NOT use it in metal containers...chemical reaction with the acid in the vinegar...

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The most common ratio I've heard most people use is 1 tbsp per gallon however I know folks who add a 1/4 cup to their own drinking water so an exact mixture ration isn't critical. For ACV to be of any benefit it must be unpastuerized vinegar that contains the "mother". ACV will help their overall health, digestive system, and the pectin it contains is good for the heart.

6. Billyj

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Thanks for the info. I am assuming that you can get it at a regular grocery store? Or will I need to go to a specialty store of some kind? Sorry for such a silly question.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Some better groceries have a health food section and will carry it although I have never seen it stocked on the same shelves as pasturized vinegar.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Apple Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium. It will normalize pH levels in the stomach, improve digestion and the assimilation of nutrients.
    A few more benefits of Oral Apple Cider Vinegar are:
    *Reduces intestinal and fecal odors.
    *Aids in digestion.
    *Helps to break down minerals and fats.
    *Assists the animal to assimilate proteins.
    *Assists the animal to convert food better.
    *It lowers the pH of the digestive tract which
    will make an environment less welcoming
    to pathogens therefore will reduce common
    infections and increases resistance to disease.
    *Improves stamina and fertility.
    *It is a great overall tonic that will improve the general well being of the animal.
    If started while Birds are young (1-1/2 to 2weeks), birds
    *Will feather out quicker.
    *Are hardier.
    *Grow to their potential sooner when used with an adequate feed.
    I find the meat is also leaner due to the fats being converted quicker.

Cautions:
    Do not use metal water dishes (except stainless steal).
    Vinegar should not be used internally with animals that have an irritated lining of the intestinal tract.
    Add 1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to every 4 fl ozs of water, or 1/8-1/4 cup per gallon of water in 3 to 4 day intervals.

Also I would not use at the same time with a commercial wormer. On some commercial wormer it will have one funky chemical reaction with ACV...
    Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Unopened, it will keep indefinitely; once opened it will keep about 6 months.

Chris

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  9. Billyj

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Thanks everyone. I thinbk I will give it a try.

10. Momaha

Momaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Sooner Nation WWHQ
    I had found on another credible site where they recommended equine ACV not store bought unpasteurized but from experience it sounds like either should have the same benefits, correct? The site did not elaborate on the difference. I found this info while researching sour crop:

Apple Cider Vinegar
    In addition on a monthly basis add apple cider vinegar (acv) to the water supply and make sure your birds are fully wormed as this also helps to keep the bird healthy and prevent health problems generally.

Don't use the apple cider vinegar you buy from the supermarket - the right sort is the type sold for horses. Just put about 5ml (a teaspoon full) into a litre of water. You can buy apple cider vinegar from farm shops, equestrian centres or online from suppliers like Titmus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by