1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Justhatched, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have seen on BYC that it is often recommended to give your chickens acv. If it doesn't have the mother in it and is from the grocery store does it have any benefits in it? Would it have benefits just not like the kind with the mother?

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Forget processed vinegar from the store as it lacks minerals, electrolytes with proteins, etc. That white bottled/clear stuff at the store is basically without any nutritional value.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I haven't been able to find acv with the mother yet. One feed store I called said "you get that at the grocery store". Okay thanks. I will keep looking.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Any health food store has it. Braggs is what we have here.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    ACV with the mother is the best. I get mine at the local organic store. You can also but Braggs online.

6. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I didn't think about Vitamin Shoppe! We have one close by. I will go there tomorrow. Thank you!

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Also if you have a GNC they carry it. That's where I buy it since none of our grocery stores carry it.

9. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    What do you use ACV for? Why is it good? How much should you use? Thank you in advance. I am all for learning anything new that will help my chickens.

10. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    We use it for our flock. Started using it when I had nine new (2011) spring chicks come down with pasty butt. Googled for a solution, found this site and the suggestions for ACV. Made a true believer out of me then! If I forgot to add the ACV (we buy the organic unpasteurized stuff) then the pasty butt reappeared in the same exact nine chicks it started in. As long as I kept in in their water? I had no problems! I find ours in our local Fred Meyers or any health store that carries organic produce/products (i.e. Trader Joes or similar). Walmart's doesn't have it (at least ours doesn't!) and neither does Safeway (which I find odd since they tend to carry a lot of other organic products).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by