1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple cider vinegar?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coopncottage, Nov 8, 2011.

1. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    I recently read that it's good to feed chickens apple cider vinegar, and I was wondering if others here do that. Do you put it out full strength in a dish or how do you offer it? Do they like it? [​IMG]

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    put a teaspoon or so in a gallon of water..................i dont really measure i just pour a splash in my waterer for them.....keeps them healthy!
    i take a dash myself...its good for what ales ya!!!

3. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    Thanks -- diluting it in their waterer sounds much more palatable! [​IMG]

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    The actual dosage is a table spoon per gallon. My chicks have gotten it since day 2 and they love it. I've not experienced any digestive issues with them at all so far.

I also don't measure anymore and sometimes they get a little more and sometimes a little less. Also, make sure you get the pure version of it by Braggs, that has all the good stuff in it.

5. CluckCluck2

CluckCluck2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    Quote:What does apple cider vinegar do for chickens?

6. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    As far as I know (and I know this has been disputed, so I'm not looking to start an argument) it helps with digestion and other ailments. I don't know the science behind it, or if there is any, but what it does at the very minimum is keep the water container from becoming slimy. That's a boon in itself.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:x2

8. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I just bought some for $1.99/16 oz bottle from Swanson vitamins I used shipping code swan199 and shipping was just $1.99. I do have 1/2 gallon thats 'brewing'. I think it also has magical powers, my chickens are doing great no problems since i've started using it. 1 Tab/gal
    Patti

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by