Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SouthernBYChickens, Dec 9, 2011.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I was told or read somewhere that occasionally putting ACV in their water is good for the chicks' digestion and can help prevent against some illnesses. Is this the case and does anyone know about how much I should add to the water if I am using a basic quart mason jar waterer? Thanks in advance for any replies!! [​IMG]

2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    About 1 Tbsp per gallon. If you're using a mason jar waterer, don't use a metal cap for it. The ACV will be acidic and corrode it.

3. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Thank you so very much for your advice. Sure enough - I am using a metal cap and I would have gone ahead and used it if you hadn't told me that. I will stop by on the way home and grab a plastic one. Thanks, again!!!

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    From all I've read, ACV is good for chickens from the start. So I add it to the water (plastic waterers only) for all of mine - from day-olds to layers.

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

my chicks drink out of rabbit waterers. can the apple cider vinager go in there. it has a metal nipple on it. will it damage it?? and its the size of a 20 oz soda bottle. how much should i put in it

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:If the nipple metal is stainless steel you're OK. As far as how much ACV to put in a chick waterer, I wouldn't even worry about it. Wait till they are big enough to use a full size chicken waterer. If you really feel you need it, just add a couple of drop from an eyedropper.

7. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    I put it in my chicks water from day one....my first water is warm water with a tea spoon of raw honey and a tablespoon of acv...with the mother...I think it helps give them a good start...good luck with yours

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yes! It provides Vit. C, potassium, calcium, etc. in the chick water....sort of like adding electrolytes to their water. It sure doesn't hurt and I've never had a chick die or have pasty butt. It has great health benefits for animal and human alike.

9. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it with all my chickens from babies all the way through to the big girls...I did put it in my metal hanging waterer once and it rusted it and I threw it out....now I only use plastic

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't measure - whether I"m using the one-quart chick waterers or the larger 3-gallon waterers for older chicks. The basic proportion is 1 tablespoon per gallon. So I eyeball it. I add a big splash of it - straight from the bottle - for the big waterers and a small splash for the little waterers. The chickens drink it right down. By the way, after lots of reading, I don't think having "mother" in the ACV is a big deal. Just plain old ACV is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by