Apple Cider Vinegar??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchickymomma, Apr 6, 2012.

1. newchickymomma

newchickymomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    I have 6 chicks about 2 weeks old. I heard about ACV, should I use it? If so at what age and what is the benefit and the correct mixing amounts?

Thank you

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    We use it in the waterers for our birds 8 weeks or older that are outside. We just spray 1 or 2 times from a spray bottle into the water. Due to its acidity, it is supposed to be helpful as a mild antiseptic and is full of vitamins and minerals.

3. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I have used account since my chicks were 3 days old ... 4 1/2 weeks later they have never had pasty butt or any other issues ...

4. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

i give it to them they day they hatch for about a week... no pasty butt or any other issues

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    From day one for as long as you care to use it. But NOT in metal waterers. Plastic or glass only.

Two to three tablespoons to the gallon of water. Doesn't have to be organic or even cider vinegar. Ordinary old white vinegar will get the job done. It's the acetic acid and not the other stuff that gets the job done. Deters microbial growth in the water so that they don't get slimy or develop algae.

I use acv in all of my brooders and would use it in my layer tractors if I could find a five gallon plastic waterer that could be hung.

6. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    you can make one from a 5 gal paint bucket from Home Depot. The nipples you can find online, from the videos I've watched on youtube its really easy to make.

7. carmentk

carmentk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    Summerville SC
    Why not in metal?

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    An acidic water pH hastens the corrosion of metal. Possibly to the point of causing zinc poisoning in your birds.

1 person likes this.
  9. carmentk

carmentk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    Summerville SC
    OK, thanks. Wanted a scientific explanation.

10. ShakeragSusan

ShakeragSusan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    rural Kentucky
    Is ACV okay in PVC since it's a kind of plastic? Just curious.

I love ACV mixed with a bit of honey! Maybe the chicks/keets will, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by