1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nickkellya123, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nickkellya123

nickkellya123 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Essex,England
    I keep seeing apple cider vinegar being mentioned as benefical to hens, could anyone tell me what its benefits are and how to administer it ,thanks

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. nickkellya123

nickkellya123 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Essex,England
    many thanks

4. alicemarie

alicemarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2013
    Hillsboro , Oregon
    Thank you so much

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
  6. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Here is another link:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html
    "ASTRINGENT SOLUTION
    This solution can be used to treat young birds that show non-typical disease symptoms of poor growth. The solution can also be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate. This solution will help "cut through" the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.
    Two quarts of apple cider vinegar diluted into 100 gallons of water
    (4 teaspoons/gallon)
    The tannin in the apple cider vinegar aide in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed. Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals."

7. NycGrlTrNCuntry

NycGrlTrNCuntry Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Broussard, LA
    I was having trouble with my chickens, they haven't layed any eggs in five days, I added some braggs organic apple cider vinegar, and within two days after I've been seeing some eggs in the coop, so I figured to add it every two weeks, don't want to get too use to it in there water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by