apple is gone

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by beach livin', Oct 6, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i threw a half eaten apple(by my son) into the chicken enclosure. went to find it, and its gone. guess they love apples [​IMG]

2. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    It's funny....I've tried them many times in various forms and mine won't touch em.
    They also don't like bread or strawberries which I hear thru the grapevine they should love....but mine don't.
    Quess I've got some strange chickens!
    They love any sorts of greens thou... Clover, cabbage, specialty lettuces, grape vine leaves , broccoli florets just to name a few.
    Different tastes for different chickens![​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    mine look at me like I'm gonna poison them when i show them an apple, so i just eat it instead.

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    My folks have had a bumper of a year with their two apple trees and within my four pens only the ducks and the roosters know how to eat the apples. So they have been given bucket full after bucket full.

5. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Quote:Oh my, mine loooooooooooove strawberries and bread!

6. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Mine don't really like apples. Tried chopping some up last time. One pecked and walked away. The other one ate for a while but then also walked away. then a crow came and took some. lol

7. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    We have an apple tree in our backyard and our hens LOVE apples, but they won't eat them when they are whole. I don't know if they have trouble pecking through the skin or just don't like it, but they won't try to eat an apple until it has been broken open and they can get at the soft inside. We usually give them the cores and any drop apples that aren't good for people to eat we just break open and they gobble them up.

8. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    My 6 chickens do not like apples either. They also don't like bananas and yesterday I gave them some cabbage and they walked away from that too! They are 13 weeks old so I will just keep trying to introduce new veggies and fruits to them.

9. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Okay, I love strawberries so the chickens don't get any! I'll have to try some apples. They love bread, cabbage they eat if there's nothing more exciting. I love to give them frozen mixed vegetables. They eat the corn first, then come back in a little while for the carrots. The peas I will find thrown out of the bowls onto the ground but after a while they disappear, too.

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I buy a huge bag and I mean huge, like a 50 lb plus bag from the local orchard and mine love them.
    The Silkies have a hard time but I cut theirs in half. The Cochins adore them as do the Marans. The d'Uccles barely eat it even cut in half and the ducks don't touch it unless I cube it for them but I don't have that kind of time for 50 ducks.
    I just throw a few whole ones in for the Ameraucanas. They are only 4-5 months old and need something to do besides eat grass all day.

I buy a bag a week but I have over 500 chickens so it goes fast. Anything in season in farming country goes to the animals. That is what it was put here for. And the huge bag of apples is only $5 so it is a great buy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by