1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple peels

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by oldchickenlady, Dec 12, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I just got through making fresh apple cakes and I have lots of apple peels left (washed of course). Is it ok to give the washed peels to the chickens? If I can give the peels to the chickens, should I just leave them as I peeled them or chop them up some in my blender? They are mostly staying in the coop today due to the extreme cold and high winds + snow. I hate to waste the peels if the chickens would like them.

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    yep, just toss them out to the chickens.
    They will be cleaned up in a jiffy.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Cool! That will give them something to do. I hung a cabbage head in the coop, but they haven't really messed with it much...yet.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:I put 3 big cabbages in the coop this morning, and each one was attacked immediately! Sometimes I leave one or two on the ground in the run so they'll have something to do and something green to pick at when the grass is all gone. When I put the cabbages in the coop, I don't hang them up; I just put them on the floor. I should have rolled them in and gone "bowling" [​IMG] [​IMG] Thought it would help keep them entertained since it's snowing like crazy, and is predicted to snow this way until around midnight tonight. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    My birds love apples in any form. I sometimes put them in a cake feeder just to give them something to do and keep them out of the dirt. I don't think the dirt bothers them as much as it does me though. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

6. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    My mother in law sent over a bagful of long curly apple peels which I just dumped as-is into the backyard. I think we laughed for an hour watching the girls trail apple streamers, running and chasing each other! Every scrap was gobbled, too... seeds, cores, skins and all.

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:It is SO COLD here too!

One of my chicken's favorite treats is apple peels! I prefer to give it to them in larger pieces so that they don't waste as much. [​IMG]

8. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I walked in one day with a bag of apples from the store. My mistake was coming in the back door......

My birds pecked a hole in the bag and went to town AS I was walking down the path! [​IMG]

I tossed an apple out there this morning a few minutes ago, it's already gone. [​IMG]

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:[​IMG] I can just SEE that!

Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by