Apple sauce but with pears-- Possible?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by thewobsers, Oct 23, 2008.

1. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    hi there,
    i have a whole lot of pears i mean ALOT
    i wondered if anyone knows if i could make pearsauce just the way you make applesauce-- would that work or is it too gritty?
    i am going to do pear butter too, but wanted other options and ways to use these things up.
    thanks

2. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    I think it just depends on what you like. I personally wouldnt mind the grittiness. I think the recipe would turn out just fine. But you could check on the KERR of BALL website for specifics. good luck.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Perhaps if you could them really well the grittiness would lessen. Or only use ultra-ripe ones... Have you Googled the idea to see if it's been done?

4. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Yep, I do it every year. Depends on the pears how gritty it is but it is never really a problem. If you mix them with some apples it's really good too!

5. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Back again....lol
    You can also core them and freeze them either peeled or unpeeled and then make sauce or butter as time allows.

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I peeled and used an apple corer. Then I made a syrup of sugar, water, and cinnamon and then ladled the hot syrup over the sliced pears and cold packed them! They turned out really good. [​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm pretty sure I've seen pearsauce at a grocery store somewhere.

Try a small batch & see if you like it!

8. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    How about making some pear leather? My pear sauce turned out thinner than applesauce - kind of runny, but tasty.

9. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    try mixing pear with apple, cranberry, or crabapple ~ or just try adding a flavor ~ for instance, have you ever seen the *strawberry applesauce* or *mango applesauce* sold in the grocery store? It tastes great, and uses either apple or pears.
    ~Red

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Absolutely - my aunt makes it every year and my dad made it this year from all of my pears. Little gritty but still good. Mom also made a pear pie - same as you would apple and you couldn't even tell the difference (except for the grit) but it tasted wonderful! We also canned ours with a simple syrup, both plain and spiced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by