APPLE SAUCE

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chiknwhisperer, Nov 2, 2008.

1. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Could someone please tell me how to make apple sauce? I have a bunch of apples but I have no idea how to make apple sauce. I figured I would ask here first since I'm sure ya'll have recipies. [​IMG]

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
    3 pounds apples - peeled, cored and chopped
    3 cups water
    1 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:

Add to Shopping List
    Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
    Place apples in a large saucepan and just barely cover with water. Simmer over medium-low heat until apples are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
    Run cooked apples through a food mill or blender. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.

3. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    INGREDIENTS
    2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:

DIRECTIONS
    Place apples in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and vanilla; mix well. Sprinkle over apples. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Uncover and mash with a fork. Serve warm.

4. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    INGREDIENTS
    16 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
    1 cup apple juice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Add to Shopping List
    Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS
    Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low hat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat; mash apples to desired consistency. Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator

5. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We prefer Apple butter!!
    Yummm

6. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    INGREDIENTS [​IMG] This one is nice for crock pot

8 apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:

DIRECTIONS
    Combine the apples and water in a slow cooker; cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice; continue cooking another 30 minutes.

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just fill my crock pot most of the way with sliced apples, add about 2 cup of sugar (my crock pot is 5 qt), and cinnamon to taste, then cook on high until the apples are done and have fallen apart and turned to mush. I stir them about every hour or so. It takes several hours, but it's really easy and my family gobbles most of it up before I even have to worry about storing it!!!

Edited to add that it makes the house smell wonderful!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  8. grassy2

grassy2 New Egg

May 8, 2008
    i core the apples (but the chickens like the seeds, so leave them in [​IMG] and just add enough water to cover them in a large pot. bring it to boiling, and then put them in the blender on a low/puree speed. i don't add sugar or flavoring for the chickens, but i suppose a little cinnamon and honey/molasses would be much appreciated.

9. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    OH my gosh!! That was so quick! Thank you for all the wonderfull recipies everyone. They all sound great. I'm going to have a hard time deciding which one to do first lol. Again thank you. I'm going to add them all to my recipe book [​IMG]

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I peel, core and slice the apples, add an inch or two of water and cook. I use a 4 quart pot and fill it to the top with apple slices, stir with a wooden spoon. When almost done I add a cup of sugar or less. Depends on how sweet I want it. We like ours chunky for the dinner table. I also freeze the applesauce in rubbermaid containers for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by