Apple Stuffed french toast

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by floridaquilter, Sep 30, 2010.

1. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I tried this yesterday and it was pretty and delicious too!

Core and chop 4 apples into small pieces. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter to a skillet and over med high heat stir fry apples. sprinkle alittle cinnamon or nutmeg on them and stir fry until just browned. Add 2 Tablespoons of water and 1/4 cup of sugar and cook until tender. take off heat and set aside.
    Whisk 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Dip bread into egg batter and fry in a hot buttered skillet about 2 min per side. place french toast on a cookie sheet with a wire rack. Put 3 Tablespoons of cooked apples on toast and cover with another piece of toast. bake in 350 degree oven until hot all the way through..about 12-15 minutes. sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

The original recipe called for 1 and 1/2 inch thick bread and make a pouch to add the apple stuffing. I use thick sliced bread (Texas toast) and layered two pieces with the apple stuffing in the layers.
    Fall is here and we find ourselves craving anything with apples!!

2. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Sounds good! I'll have to try it one day.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've made this with strawberries & blueberries too.
    I generally use French bread sliced thick but the Texas Toast sounds easier.

To make it truly decadent mix softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and a little vanilla, then spread on the toast before adding the fruit.
    Helps the layers stick together and makes it taste like cheesecake.

I've also made the sandwiches then frozen them uncooked to give as presents.
    I make a syrup using frozen OJ to give with the French toast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by