1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple Vinegar or Dawn dish soap?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by r709shackleford, Dec 11, 2012.

1. r709shackleford

r709shackleford Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Southcentral Alaska
    Hi,
    Looking to treat my chickens today for some lice. They have been treated w ash/sand but I want to go the extra mile.

My plan was to give them a bath in Apple Cider Vinegar. I heard this is used for lice.
    -Is this true/effective?
    What ratio per gallon should I use?

Then I was going to use a diluted Dawn solution. I know this works for many application of unwanted pests. The antiseptic kills most bugs, and the soapy texture makes many bug's legs or wings stick together. Also it suffocates other bugs.
    What ratio should i use of soap to gallon of water?

After the two treatments I was going to rinse them in a fresh water. And back into their heated coop.
    Should I do just one or both solutions?
    Any suggestions what should I do differently? Trying to use home remedies.

Tnx!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What are you going to do about the lice in the coop, nests, and roosts?

3. r709shackleford

r709shackleford Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Southcentral Alaska
    I've read people use store bought chemicals. I think I would prefer to use diluted peroxide/water or very diluted bleach/water solution from a garden sprayer. I will replace all bedding and spray everything. And I am building a few new nesting boxes now. The old ones are quite used and were given to me.

Any suggestion for the ratios? I think....I read somewhere to use 1 cup bleach per gallon of water? Or 1 cup peroxide to 5 parts water? This is from memory, could be wrong.

Any suggestions for inside the coop or the chickens? Tnx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by