1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apples?! can chickens eat. they ok to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tarheel4lif3, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    Had some apples and wanted to know if chickens would like them?!

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Mine like apples [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Mine cleaned up all the apples that were on the trees in the garden. They also jumped up in the raspberries and ate all of them and got all the pears that fell.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's one of my chickens favorites

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    In quantity, apple SEEDS can be toxic over time.

6. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My ladies go CRAZY when I give them apples which is prolly every three days, we own a farm store so they get all the ones that won't sell. [​IMG]

7. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Mine love them also, if you want to have some fun hang them from a string and watch the fun.

It's like chicks bobbing for apples.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I give mine apples whenever we have some. They love 'em! I also read that you can hang them on a string. I tried it once, but they grabbed at it so much the apple fell off! [​IMG] It was fun to watch though.

9. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Yes, apples are safe to feed to your chickens and is somewhat a favorite. But take note of Buff Hooligan's note on toxicity in apple seeds(thanks for the info!).

Happy feeding! [​IMG]

10. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

To piggyback on Buff's comment about apple seed toxicity... They contain small quantities of cyanide. It is important for parents to know this. Small children can often become fixated on certain foods (like apples) and want to eat them everyday. The ocassionally apple seed isn't going to hurt anyone, but if someone regularly ingests them, it could cause problems. Since chickens are so much smaller than humans, I would guess that it would take fewer seeds to affect them. If I were feeding alot of apples to chickens, I would probably core them first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by