Apples Seeds bad?

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
roll.png
I plan on hanging apples in the run for entertainment but are apple seeds bad for chickens?

Maybe if you ate a few lbs of them. I wouldn't worry and let them have some fun. Mine eat them no problem, but I am also one who throws uncooked potato peels at them which people say not to do.

You could always core them first. It's not like it would be much trouble. Then you wouldn't have to worry whether the seeds were in fact bad for them. I wish I knew for sure
smile.png

they do have arsenic..but..like silkie said...they would have to eat ALOT of them to get sick from them...if you are worried just remove them....

Last edited:
I've always fed apples for treats. I do not put enough apples into my silkie's pens that any one silkie could get more than a few seeds at a time. I buy apples in 4 bushel mesh bags from my friend's orchard. They last quite awhile stored in a cool place where they cannot freeze. My silkies love them; the apples are one more thing to keep them busy in the winter. Cath

Apple seeds (and many other fruit seeds) contain a chemical that can be turned into cyanide. You'd have to eat many cups of only apple seeds though. Animals will get sick off eating that many apples long before they'll ingest enough seeds from them.

Quote:
good idea...you could even spread some peanutbutter on them(halved)..and press some scratch/seed into the PB...

My chickens get the apple core and peel often. My little girl won't eat the peel and I cut up all her apples (she had two today) and the chickens will get the peel and cores tomorrow.

Good ideas, I've always cored and peeled apples for snack but since I'm going to hang them I was wondering if the seeds are bad. I like the idea of peanut butter and seeds spread on the apple!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom