Apples Seeds bad?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henney, Dec 19, 2008.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    [​IMG]I plan on hanging apples in the run for entertainment but are apple seeds bad for chickens?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I can't swear to it but, seems like I read somewhere that apple seeds contain arsnic (sp?). Hmmmm, maybe someone else will know for sure.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Maybe if you ate a few lbs of them. I wouldn't worry and let them have some fun. Mine eat them no problem, but I am also one who throws uncooked potato peels at them which people say not to do.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You could always core them first. It's not like it would be much trouble. Then you wouldn't have to worry whether the seeds were in fact bad for them. I wish I knew for sure [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    they do have arsenic..but..like silkie said...they would have to eat ALOT of them to get sick from them...if you are worried just remove them....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. Cathryn

Cathryn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    Michigan
    I've always fed apples for treats. I do not put enough apples into my silkie's pens that any one silkie could get more than a few seeds at a time. I buy apples in 4 bushel mesh bags from my friend's orchard. They last quite awhile stored in a cool place where they cannot freeze. My silkies love them; the apples are one more thing to keep them busy in the winter. Cath

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Apple seeds (and many other fruit seeds) contain a chemical that can be turned into cyanide. You'd have to eat many cups of only apple seeds though. Animals will get sick off eating that many apples long before they'll ingest enough seeds from them.

1 person likes this.
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:good idea...you could even spread some peanutbutter on them(halved)..and press some scratch/seed into the PB...

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My chickens get the apple core and peel often. My little girl won't eat the peel and I cut up all her apples (she had two today) and the chickens will get the peel and cores tomorrow.

10. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Good ideas, I've always cored and peeled apples for snack but since I'm going to hang them I was wondering if the seeds are bad. I like the idea of peanut butter and seeds spread on the apple!
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by