applesauce?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikki509, Mar 22, 2015.

1. nikki509

nikki509 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi I am brand new to this site :) and brand new to chickens! I have 4 1-week old chicks, 3 New Hampshire Reds and 1 Barred Rock (I just couldn't leave her behind)
    I have some homemade applesauce (no sugar) that was left here after my nephew visited... I don't have a lot, maybe a couple tablespoons. My sister pureed it so it is the consistency of Gerber. I was about to throw it out but thought I would ask first if it is ok to give to my babies? I appreciate any input. I'm sure I will have more questions along the way!

2. Old 76 Farm

Old 76 Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2014
    Central NY Country
    I think I would just toss it. I usually wait till chicks are at least 4 weeks old to start any treats. If you are going to give them anything other than the starter feed they will need chick grit. They are so little at one week that you would probably end up with a bunch of sticky little chicks that need a bath. Just my opinion, others might not agree [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’d have no problem at all giving them that much. So what if they make a mess. They groom themselves. In general keep treats fairly minimal so that at least 90% of what they eat is heir feed. They’ll do fine with that.

In general I agree they need grit, but that’s just to grind stuff up that is not already ground. Applesauce, yogurt, and such is already ground fine enough that it is not a problem for them.

4. nikki509

nikki509 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Thank you all for your input! :) They really weren't interested after all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by