Applying Candle Wax to Cracked Egg during Incubation.

MHallum

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
New Mexico
Just wanted to share in case it could help someone else out. I had some eggs in my incubator and when I candled them around day 10 or 12 I somehow cracked this egg. Probably setting it down in the rack. Not sure. Cracked the shell but not the inner membrane (no fluid came out) It was a fertile egg with a live chick. I have heard about people using candle to repair a a cracked egg. I busted out a small birthday candle and melted the wax all over the egg crack. Making sure to cover the crack and any fractures off to the side. That was around day 10 or 12. I did check it a few others times and the chick was still alive. Guess what? It hatched a perfectly healthy chick. Oh, and to make things worse I guess when I repaired the egg with the wax I set the egg back on the wrong self in my GQF Sportsman so I never put this egg in lock-down with the others in its batch. It never stopped turning and I never raise the humidity. I was walking by the incubator last night and heard chirping. I hatch in a small Styrofoam not the sportsman. I was thinking holy cow, how did I miss a hole batch hatch date. Well, it was just the egg I repair. Just wanted to share in hopes that it could come in useful for others.
IMG_3780.JPG IMG_3777.JPG IMG_3776 2.jpg

What a gorgeous chick. 🥰

I too have put birthday candles to this use. I discovered 2 eggs with impact cracks, one on day 7 and one on day 10, so both got waxed in blue. They both hatched out beautifully too.

What a gorgeous chick. 🥰

I too have put birthday candles to this use. I discovered 2 eggs with impact cracks, one on day 7 and one on day 10, so both got waxed in blue. They both hatched out beautifully too.
Nice!! Yeah, I have tried finger nail polish a few times on shipped eggs that were cracked. Never had any luck with that. Not sure if it was the nail polish, egg wasn't fertile, or it was so damaged in shipping it never developed. Glad you were able to save a few chicks!

I have used nail polish- if you put it on on day one, the egg my not hatch depending on how bad the crack is, (dying on day 10 or so) if you notice the crack on day 10 or so you stand a better chance of it surviving.

Brilliant so cute I broke one of my eggs tried tape and candle wax, but only have broody chickens so had to put under them
but they seem to like the taste of wax so nibbled on it and the chicken egg ended up more broken (and smelt a bit) nearly a week later with me trying to repair a few times so upsetting - lost the chick looked like it would of been so cute one
note best to go into a incubator if broken and have repaired it up if you have one, I have a cheap 7 egg one now

I have used nail polish- if you put it on on day one, the egg my not hatch depending on how bad the crack is, (dying on day 10 or so) if you notice the crack on day 10 or so you stand a better chance of it surviving.

That's really interesting - you'd think delaying putting it on would allow bacteria to potentially get into the egg, but perhaps there's some change that happens in the membrane that gets damaged if the wax/nail polish is applied too early. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. :thumbsup

Thank you for this post, it reminded me to stock up on a few candles and it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that cracks eggs and accidentally hatches in the turner lol! I've done both and I am glad to not be the only one. Congratulations on a cute chickie!

I had a severely dented shipped Bobwhite egg that I patched with natural nail polish on day 0. It hatched just fine. Here are a few pics of the little baby. The other cracked one never developed, but it was cracked much worse than the dented one. It may have been infertile too.
Miracle baby.
20191030_112800_HDR.jpg
20191112_143235_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom