applying DE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by archerobx, May 22, 2010.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Got my first bag yesterday also bought a flour sifter. I was going to sift it in the run and was wondering since the run has turned to mud should I wait till it dries? Also thought about putting it in a plastic pan big enough for chickens to dust them selves in since its muddy? I am planning on getting sand but local place doesnt have any yet.
    thank you
    Ryan

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I rarely put it outside. Wet will lessen its cutting properties so I'd wait till it was dry out if you're going to do that. They will not dustbathe in just DE (they couldn't even breathe if they did) so you'd mix it with dirt where they like to do that. I use it in the nests, under the roost and occasionally dust the birds themselves with it. Never had a lice/mite problem.

3. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    I rarely put it outside. Wet will lessen its cutting properties so I'd wait till it was dry out if you're going to do that. They will not dustbathe in just DE (they couldn't even breathe if they did) so you'd mix it with dirt where they like to do that. I use it in the nests, under the roost and occasionally dust the birds themselves with it. Never had a lice/mite problem.

Very, very true. You don't want your chickens breathing that much DE dust and not good for you to breathe it straight either. It is not poisonous or anything like that but getting any fine dust particles in your lungs is bad news for you and for them. It doesn't take very much DE at all to prevent the insects and all. Have you ever seen or tried a dust spritzer or dustin mizer (is one brand name)? I think that's the name of it -- it's a long tube type sprayer and many people use it to apply DE. It dispenses just the right amount.​

4. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    thank you
    I will get the duster

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I put mine is a parmesan cheese shaker. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by