Apprentice Falconer

I know there are falconers in that area but I have no idea how you would find one. Years ago a friend of mine came across somebody's falcon sitting on a tree limb when she was walking along a canal bank on her farm near Dos Palos. She wrapped a jacket or something around her arm and he climbed aboard. The bird must have had some sort of identification on it because she was able to contact the owner without difficulty. Put a post on facebook and see what happens.

I know there are falconers in that area but I have no idea how you would find one. Years ago a friend of mine came across somebody's falcon sitting on a tree limb when she was walking along a canal bank on her farm near Dos Palos. She wrapped a jacket or something around her arm and he climbed aboard. The bird must have had some sort of identification on it because she was able to contact the owner without difficulty. Put a post on facebook and see what happens.
Thank you!

To become a falconer you will need to find and work with a falconer (which you seem to already know). It is a long process so many of them are very hesitant to take on an apprentice that they are unfamiliar with. So to increase your chances, you might want to find your local falconer's association and sign up. Show up at meetings, volunteer, etc. Allow them to see that you are serious and that you understand the work involved. Also you might look into animal rehab as you will often find falconers helping out there.

Good luck. It is a marvelous, if time consuming sport. (It also requires access to a fairly large piece of property to hunt on.

Back
Top Bottom