Appropriate feed for 7 week chicks w/ low interest in their feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jt673, Sep 9, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    We have a group of chicks that are coming up on 7 weeks. They seem to have lost interest in their starter feed unless I throw it in their area or when I initially put the feeder in there. Even then they stop eating it after a while and follow me around as though they are starving, when I know they are not.

Please help,

1. Do they eat around the clock at this age or do they like the running after food game so they want me to throw food for them all day?

2. Will 3 solid meals a day and treats in between work? ..lol..just curious on whether they can be put on a regimen at this age.

3. Have they lost interest in the starter feed?

4. Do they not like the feeder anymore?

5. What other foods are SAFE to feed them at this age and still have some nutritional value?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Could be they like the running after food game and aren't hungry enough between games to eat much from the feeder.

Is it possible there is some mold or something in the feeder? Have you tried giving it a good washing, maybe soak it in bleach water a little while? How about in the feed itself? Feed stores vary in how well they store feed, and if it doesn't sell fast, it can get old.

Mine free range part of the time, and eat a lot less feed when they do, because they are full of grass, bugs, etc. Are yours getting food off the lawn or in the woods or whatever?

3. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Quote:No mold or anything in the feeder. I wash that and their waterer pretty frequently. This is a new bag of feed. The others who we feed it to are doing fine with it and no one is free ranging. Maybe they prefer the chase? Are there other foods safe at this age?

Thanks

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I suspect they like the chase, then. Almost as good as chasing bugs. You might take the attitude, they will eat when they are hungry enough.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  5. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Quote:That is probably what it is, thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by