Approve my chickens snacks

marierachel17

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2020
Hi! I’m a new chicken owner and trying to figure out how much of each food for them to eat (for their veggies and animal proteins. I included a picture also. There is a handful of blueberries (cut in halves), around a cup of lettuce and spinach, half a cup of cilantro (including the stalks), 1 1/2 tomatoes, a few pieces of pepper, and about half a cup of scrambled eggs, maybe a little more or less of anything. Please let me know if this is okay, thanks!

Attachments

• 3ECD7F6E-3D4A-485B-968F-812E6482691D.jpeg
    3ECD7F6E-3D4A-485B-968F-812E6482691D.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
How many chickens?
How old are they?
If there are adult hens, are they laying eggs?
Is this meant to be the entire food for the chickens, or are they also eating a commercially-produced chicken food?

If they are being fed a commercially-available chicken food, can you post a photo of the tag from the package? We can help you figure out if it's properly balanced for the chickens you have.

How many chickens?
How old are they?
If there are adult hens, are they laying eggs?
Is this meant to be the entire food for the chickens, or are they also eating a commercially-produced chicken food?

If they are being fed a commercially-available chicken food, can you post a photo of the tag from the package? We can help you figure out if it's properly balanced for the chickens you have.
Ty for the reply!! Yes, I’ll include a picture of the feed. This is just their veggies and animal protein for the day. I have 8 laying hens, all are around 1 year old. I usually don’t give them this many veggies at once, but we had a lot of scraps laying around and i figured i’d make a “salad” of sorts. We just rehomed them from previous owners who did not do much research on nutrition, so I’m currently giving them the feed they supplied me with (Poulin Grain Layer Pellet if you can’t tell from the picture), but I am willing so change their feed (gradually, obviously) so something better if needed. (although it can’t be too expensive even though I would absolutely love to give them an all natural, organic feed because I live with my parents (i’m 14) and they are covering the cost of food for me. thx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 8
We just rehomed them from previous owners who did not do much research on nutrition, so I’m currently giving them the feed they supplied me with (Poulin Grain Layer Pellet if you can’t tell from the picture), but I am willing so change their feed (gradually, obviously) so something better if needed.

I was hoping for a picture of the tag or the part of the label that lists things like this:
protein 16.5%
fiber 4%
fat 3%
(etc)

But I was able to look it up on the internet:
https://www.poulingrain.com/products/206

That feed should be just fine. No need to add anything else.
You say the previous owners did no research on nutrition--maybe they did, and that's why they are buying that kind of feed. It should have everything the chickens need.

This is just their veggies and animal protein for the day.

The feed has enough protein--no real need to add extra animal protein.
The feed has enough fiber, vitamins, and minerals--no real need to add veggies.

That nice bowl of eggs and veggies should be fine to give to your hens. But it would be equally fine to eat it yourself, and just let the hens eat the feed that comes in the bag.

I was hoping for a picture of the tag or the part of the label that lists things like this:
protein 16.5%
fiber 4%
fat 3%
(etc)

But I was able to look it up on the internet:
https://www.poulingrain.com/products/206

That feed should be just fine. No need to add anything else.
You say the previous owners did no research on nutrition--maybe they did, and that's why they are buying that kind of feed. It should have everything the chickens need.

The feed has enough protein--no real need to add extra animal protein.
The feed has enough fiber, vitamins, and minerals--no real need to add veggies.

That nice bowl of eggs and veggies should be fine to give to your hens. But it would be equally fine to eat it yourself, and just let the hens eat the feed that comes in the bag.
Okay, that makes sense, thank you! I think I’ll occasionally still give them foods like this even though it’s not necessary (they really love them!!)

Back
Top Bottom