1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

approx. 2 wk old Seabrights fighting, roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bug n Flock, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    My two Gold Seabrights I'm guessing ate around 2 weeks old. They are TSC chicks I got a couple of days ago. They jump kick each other a lot, but their combs look very different. Are they just establishing dominance or are they roos? These are part of the batch that are my first chickens, so sorry if this is a silly question.

Here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIA,
    Bug

Posted from mobile, please forgive any typos

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    My chicks often do this. It dosen't mean they are cockerels- plenty of pullets do it too. There is nothing to worry about :)

-Jet

3. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    Wonderful, thanks. So I shouldn't try to separate or anything? If I pick one up and not the other, they frantically call back and forth, even tho all 6 banties were in the same bin at TSC.

4. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    You don't have to separate them. They're only babies and they aren't going to hurt each other at this age. When they get older you might have a problem though. Lots of cockerels- even siblings- will fight to the death when they are mature.

-Jet

5. Bug n Flock

Jun 13, 2015
    Oh, I can't keep any cockerels in my city. Boys will have to be rehomed. Either to a farm or to freezer camp.

I may be able to keep a very quiet roo, but if my neighbors complain, he'll have to go.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by