Approximate age of baby Button Quail - Based on size?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Equinox, Dec 15, 2011.

1. The Equinox

The Equinox New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Hello folks! New member here [​IMG]

Picked up a couple of these little fellas, they are slightly over the size of a toonie. Was hoping to get a rough estimate on their age, being as how I can't find anything to reference on the web.

Also, they are currently housed in a 50gal aquarium on paper towel for observational purposes. At what point would it be safe to switch them over to something else, such as sand? I would post a photo but as a new member, my actions are limited here on this forum.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    [​IMG] and the Quail forum!

Congrats on your new quail!

I must ask...
    What's a toonie?

3. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    A toonie is the $2 coin from Canada.

How feathered are they? My babies are almost 4 weeks and they are pretty much completely feathered besides abit of scraggles on their head; and are roughly half the size of the adults.

4. The Equinox

The Equinox New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Thank you for the welcome! I am very excited to try my hand with these little cuties. I was raised around chickens and other birds, but quail is new territory for me. I am actually from The Great White North, a toonie is our two dollar coin. Maybe two and a half inches, at most? :p

5. The Equinox

The Equinox New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    They have what appears to be most of their feathers, I have the ability to post photos now. Unfortunately I didn't have anything beside them for size comparison, but here they are just upon arrival three days ago [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    [​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hello!
    And thank you for the help with what a toonie is. [​IMG]

Those are little rascals! I'm fairly new at this myself, but I'd say about a week old.

8. The Equinox

The Equinox New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Haha, no worries :p

They have definitely been interesting thus far, one follows the other around everywhere it goes. I have them at about 95 degrees F right now, as it's been quite nippy outside here. They are totally getting spoiled, with two pieces of soft fabric on each side of the enclosure for them to snuggle in to. Heh. Which they have been utilizing.

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree, about 1 week old. 6-7 more weeks and you'll have beautiful eggs!

10. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    My youngest are about 2 weeks old now. (hatched Dec. 2) and are starting to fly. That's funny seeing those tiny guys take flight! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by