Approximate age to have a good idea on ameraucan bantam sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Godiva, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    This is the first time I have had an ameraucana and am not familiar with the breeds 'signs' of sex [​IMG] I know I am just being impatient but it is such fun trying to figure it out. I have a two week old that is feathering in really fast .... some of the breeds I have had that would be a sign that it is a pullet but may not be with ameraucanas... How do the combs differ between sexes?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Well, with my EEs the cockerels were obvious at 6 weeks by the redness and size of their combs. I'd think it would be the same with Ameraucanas. And most of the time when they are young you can tell by 3 defined rows of "peas" in the males' combs, but I know that's not always the case.

3. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    He/ she is super curious and will run to me everytime I open the cage! Also pecks my shirts non stop so I pick him/her up and hold it while I deal with the others. As a result it is getting really calm when I hold it... I am REALLY hoping that this is a pullet - I do so want some blue eggs. I can't see any little peas on the comb area yet.... it is pretty non existent at the moment... anyone got pictures of male pea combs and some pullet pea combs at early stages? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by