Approximate lbs. feed needed for two buffs for first three weeks.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MsMelvin, May 28, 2010.

1. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    Before we switch over to lower protien mix. Can any one give me a ball park figure? (in pounds)

TS in my area has a twenty pound bag, gosling/duck starter; will that be too much or should I special order a smaller bag? They will be offered fresh grass cuttings as well...from day one. This is for two mail order, newly hatched, goslings (pair).

Thank you in advance for any knowlege shared.

2. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chirping

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    It's hard to gauge for two but I went through alot more than I figured I would with my four goslings the first three weeks because they ate constantly, even with the supplementation of grass. Mine were on 20 percent protein until about 4-5 weeks old because I was finishing out a 50 pound bag and they had no problems. Then I dropped them down to 17 percent.

3. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    Great, thank you so much. I will pick up the twenty pound bag. I appreciate your input; have a great day.

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Songster

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I bought a 25 lb of Mazuri waterfowl starter for my 8 geese (Tufted Buffs and Super Africans). They are two weeks old on Monday. I have also been feeding 22 ducks with that same bag. They are one week old. I do not free feed because I am not trying to rush there growth. They will be breeders. I don't want angle wings. So they get small meals several times a day. From that 25 lbs bag I might have gone through 7-8 pounds at the most. This food floats in the water. I have no waste. I am getting 20 more ducks and 18 more geese so it wont go to waste. I am switching the geese to the next stage on Monday.

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: