Approximate Pounds of Feed/Bird: X-Rocks

Salt and Light

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Osteen, FL
Approximately how many pounds of feed does it take to raise one X-rock to 8 weeks? Or, approximately how many pounds of feed does it take to raise 25 x-rocks to butchering age (8 weeks)?

Thanks,!!

Really? IF I remember correctly, last time I raised 25 birds, Freedom Rangers, I purchased 500 lbs and had to add an additional 100 at the end. Are X-rocks that more efficient or is my memory shot?

Holy mackerel! No wonder organic chicken is s expensive! I know other factors are involved in raising your own food, and I agree.... It's just that the cost for feed alone is exorbitant!

Were your Freedom Rangers confined or did you use a tractor?

Neither. The FR's,like all my birds are kept in coop for most of the day, then let out in the late PM or evening to range.

I ended up purchasing 500 lbs of 20% starter from the mill. I love going to the mill because they will grind and bag the feed while I stand right there. Probably can't get any fresher feed.

One thing for sure, prices have skyrocketed. $13.55 / 50 lbs.

Just butchered 48 of 54 Cornish X a few weeks ago. 1/2 were about 8-9 weeks, 1/2 were 10-11 weeks. 14 bags of feed, 50 lbs each.

Came out to just over $2/lb for the feed.

Our feeding system wasn't very efficient, but there wasn't much waste. At the end we were feeding 3x per day.

I just used 5 bags of feed for 20 crosses that went to 7 1/2 weeks. Average bird dressed out to 5.4lbs. With cost of bird, it averaged out to $5.80/bird. I was happy.

I raised 21 Cornish crosses to 9 weeks, using 430 lbs of food.

The carcasses from those birds (bone-in) weighed a total of 103.25 lbs. Including all costs it worked out to $2.07 per pound.

Back
Top Bottom