Approximately when do bantam cochins start laying eggs?

Laffindog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
I'm pretty new to owning chickens, so please bear with me.

A friend of mine had too many chickens, so she gave us six of them back in late May. At that time, she said they were about two months old. It turns out that I had three males and three females, and I've been able to re-home two of the males. Now it's one roo and three pullets, and I'm thinking they'll be about four months old around the 25th of July.

One pullet is a silver pencilled something-or-other, the roo and one pullet are mottled bantam cochins and the last pullet is just a black bantam cochin.

Can anyone give me an idea of when to expect eggs from them? I've read that they're not large egg producers, and that's fine.

They still sleep together in a ball, on a shelf above the nesting boxes. During the heat of the day, they'll perch on the roosts, more like they're taking their siesta.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
smile.png

Most chickens have started laying by the time they are 20-22 weeks of age. I've heard that Cochins can be slower to start and that has certianly been true with my Silkies. Maybe someone with bantam Cochins can give you a better idea.
Welcome to BYC!!!

Around five to six months you should get eggs. The reason people say they are not good layers is they will lay about 5 eggs and then want to go broody. Even if you take the eggs they will sit on nothing in the nest so you have to keep them out of the nest, because once they go broody the will not lay again for at least 3 or 4 weeks . Mine all bunched up together also until they were about 5 months old. They are gentle hens and you should enjoy them and they make great Moms. The roos get a little feisty but they are so small they don't do much damage! Good luck.....hope this helps some.

That's the truth antiquebuff. I have two black bantam cochins now broody (yet once again) everytime I go out I remove her from nest, but she always gets back in a nest that has an egg in it.. When they are broody they want to set set set (on anything) I even tried the bag of ice under them, they didn't care, set right on it..
barnie.gif
But I wouldn't trade them for anything, they are just so sweet..

I have 4 mottled ones that are 23 wks and have yet to lay..soon I hope
fl.gif

Last edited:
I also found they're a little late laying, but man, when they do, they lay...that is until they decide to go broody. Yep, tried the ice, cold bath even a contraption that wouldn't let her sit, NOTHING WORKS! But they are SO sweet and gentle, and YES, the roos can be bossy, but I think they're funny!

Take your broody hens and place them in a cage without a bottom (so they get air under them) after three nights they will be de-brooded and start laying eggs within 2 more nights - no reason to wait 2-3 weeks for broody bantams to start laying again!

Thanks for all the info I found on this thread. I have a pair of black Cochin bantams and she has yet to lay, guessing she is about 4-5 months old. So ready for some bitties.
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom