Apps or programs to assist in coop design?

Cheepers Magoo

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2019
Hello! I've been searching for a coop design online that I like and works for me.

I'm having trouble finding one that is ’the one', so I'm going to venture into my own design. Unfortunately, I'm not super experienced in building.

My question is, have any of you discovered a good app or program that is helpful in playing around with designs? Thanks for any suggestions!

I love using SketchUp, it takes a bit to get used to, but it works for me! :)

I could possibly draw one up for you if you gave me dimensions, possible design ideas, etc.

You can download FreeCAD and draw in AutoCAD. I have some .dwg file sof coops I have or am building you could copy and alter. The one has trusses designed to be able to make your own.

Yur biggest problem is loading of beams if you build it off the ground. 2x4's won't support a load bearing wall over a span, but you can ask questions here on your design.

Thank you for the suggestions! I tried out SketchUp the day I posted this.

Yeah, I have a lot to learn about it:rolleyes: Luckily my husband is well versed in it

You can download FreeCAD and draw in AutoCAD. I have some .dwg file sof coops I have or am building you could copy and alter. The one has trusses designed to be able to make your own.

Yur biggest problem is loading of beams if you build it off the ground. 2x4's won't support a load bearing wall over a span, but you can ask questions here on your design.

Thank you soo soo much! I decided to start with a walk in pallet build, but I was originally thinking of a raised coop.

I'm going to start simpler for now, but I'm going to slowly work on learning some of these programs for other projects in my life

I design in autoCAD, because I am familiar with it from work AND it can plan length and dimensions. It helps me to have a better plan and to work out some issues before constructions. Such as planning roof trusses before even building them and have a pattern with dimensions.

I am building my second coop now for breeders. My wife tried to take a stand and said "We aren't paying for wood for another coop!" I said "Fine, I'll build it out of pallets." I am, but its a huge PITA. Long sawzall blades to break them apart, limited on 48" studs and 40" planks. My sides are 6' 8" to work with the wood dimension and I had to rout two pallet beams to slide together and use a part plank piece to screw them together.

Not to mention some pallet wood is soft and some is oak. Some will take screws and other only nails and shear screws. It's being fun <sarcasm> I should have just argued with my wife more and not tried to prove a point. :rolleyes:

I design in autoCAD, because I am familiar with it from work AND it can plan length and dimensions. It helps me to have a better plan and to work out some issues before constructions. Such as planning roof trusses before even building them and have a pattern with dimensions.

I am building my second coop now for breeders. My wife tried to take a stand and said "We aren't paying for wood for another coop!" I said "Fine, I'll build it out of pallets." I am, but its a huge PITA. Long sawzall blades to break them apart, limited on 48" studs and 40" planks. My sides are 6' 8" to work with the wood dimension and I had to rout two pallet beams to slide together and use a part plank piece to screw them together.

Not to mention some pallet wood is soft and some is oak. Some will take screws and other only nails and shear screws. It's being fun <sarcasm> I should have just argued with my wife more and not tried to prove a point. :rolleyes:
Yesss, I've read how difficult it can be. I'm going to give it a try. I'm going for a faiely small coop, suitable for 5 chickens. If the pallets are a bust, at least lumber for a 3x7 coop won't break the bank :th

Hello! I've been searching for a coop design online that I like and works for me.

I'm having trouble finding one that is ’the one', so I'm going to venture into my own design. Unfortunately, I'm not super experienced in building.

My question is, have any of you discovered a good app or program that is helpful in playing around with designs? Thanks for any suggestions!
I am struggling with the same issue. I tried PowerPoint but it's not giving me the results I am seeking. Sketch Up is not intuitive for me.

Back
Top Bottom