April Adopt-along

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aunt Angus, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I just stuck a chick under my broody tonight. I'm VERRRRY nervous right now!

A little back story:
    Poppy the Buff Orpington has been fiercely, seriously broody for 18 days. The local feed stores all get their shipments of new day-olds on Thursdays (I called around). So I stopped by after work and picked up a Welsummer pullet - just one because I am expecting a shipment of 3 in early June. I figured I'll try one. If it works, great! If not, I'll bring her in, buy her a sister, and brood them together in the house. Then I'll change my June order. So I just set my alarm for early in the morning to make sure all goes well.

I am super concerned because when I put the chick under her, both she and the chick were silent. Completely noiseless. No peeping from baby. No cooing from prospective mama. Should I be concerned??? I guess I'll know in the morning..........

Updates to follow!
    20190419_145214.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    LearninMyFlock likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Waiting on an update. All should be fine.

3. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I sure hope so, sourland! :fl
    It's 3:34 am here. I can't stay asleep... And when I do fall asleep, I have nightmares about chicken cannibalism.

LearninMyFlock and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    The picture won't show up. Good luck with your hen, I hope she takes the chick!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You didn't go out and check? :D
    :fl

LearninMyFlock and Aunt Angus like this.
  6. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I went out to the coop pre-dawn, and I couldn't hear anything. Both Poppy and Bryony (baby) were completely silent. As the sun started creeping up, it got light enough that I could see into the isolation pen where the two are being kept. It's under the poop board, and the other three were still on the roost. I didn't see any signs of carnage. But I was still worried because it was silent: no peeps from baby, no coos from broody.

Then it got a little lighter. I could see Poppy better. She was awake, but still silent. Then, all of a sudden, her head popped up. It was like a cartoon. I am surprised a lightbulb didn't materialize over her head. She stood up and stuck her head under her feathers. Still no peeping. I thought for a second that she'd smothered her.

Then out popped Bryony. Poppy puffed up a bit and pecked at the baby a couple of times. I opened the pen. I thought Poppy was going to get violent. But she just shoved the baby back under her and settled in again. Poppy got up and stuck her head under her feathers again. Then she turned around, sat back down, stood up, turned again, and went through this routine a few more times for good measure. Baby was quiet as can be throughout all of this nervous shifting.

Then finally she started clicking the way mamas are supposed to. It seems to have worked!

I really don't think she knew the baby was there all last night. I think what I saw was her realizing she was no longer sitting on an egg but on an actual chick.

It's still pretty dark out there. I will get pics later.

This only worked because of the advice and articles on BYC!
    :yesss:

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

That’s awesome look forward to mama and new baby!!

LearninMyFlock and Aunt Angus like this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    :lol::gig:lau
    Great story telling!

Whew!
    Does she have eggs under her too?
    Remove those if you can.

9. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks!

Nope. I had her on a couple of ceramic eggs. I took one day before yesterday knowing she'd be getting one chick. The last one went right before the baby went under. Hopefully, she will stop velociraptor mode soon.

LearninMyFlock and aart like this.
  10. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    Here's the mama (Poppy) and the baby (Bryony). I know y'all have probably seen this many times, but it's new to me, and I can't get enough!
    20190421_181502.jpg
    So glad I gave adoption a try!
    :love

aart and LearninMyFlock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: