1. chick'n'weave

chick'n'weave Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    I am researching the type of fencing to use around my coop and run. Although I can't locate it locally, I found an advertiser online for apron fencing. Has anyone out there used that? Would you recommend it? [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've seen it advertised... regular mesh fencing with an additional piece hinged on.

I think you can do as well or better yourself, for cheaper. Just securely wire a piece on along the bottom margin of the run fence, and there ya go. Or even, if you plan a short (reach-in) run and have access to 5-6' high fencing, use a single piece and bend it outwards.

Nothing specially WRONG with the commercial product that I know of, I just see no reason not to do it yourself [​IMG]

Pat

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

most of my run has 2x4 wire as the apron. I just attached it with hog rings/fence rings at the bottom of the run fence. A lot of it is left over from the run itself. No need buying fancy wire if it's not needed. Just cover with a couple inches of mulch or soil and plant some nice smell good bushes on top. Nothing has gotten under my fence in over 3 years.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Aprons are a good way to use up odd pieces of rolls of fencing.

I wouldn't be likely to buy ready made "apron " foence

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    We used an apron made of 1/2" hardware cloth but just made our own. I looked at the fencing you are talking about and would have considered it but we had leftover hardware cloth after building the run and just used that. Garden cloth staples, about 6 inches long, were used to secure it to the ground. Works great!!

6. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    We used apron fencing. It's 16 gauge and for the size of the run we were building, it was far cheaper than hardware cloth. It came in a 150' rolls for about $150 at TSC. It's strong, super easy to install nice and tight, and looks good. I'm not concerned about the larger hole size (a coon or something could grab a chicken technically) because ours are locked in a secure coop at night (with openings/windows covered in hardware cloth on the coop) and their run is inside a much larger fenced yard, that's dog patrolled. I felt our apron was needed just to insure that any of our own dogs didn't dig under the fence... other predators haven't made it into the backyard- yet. The dogs always get to them long before they get near the backyard.

I would recommend it if your birds don't roost near it at night and/or are in a more secured coop at night AND if it was a more economical option like in our case. For the prices I've seen on some of it online, it might not be nearly as economical, and making your own might be cheaper.

7. chick'n'weave

chick'n'weave Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    Many thanks to ND, Laurel Ridge, BearFoot, Coyote, patandchickens for your helpful replies. You have given me lots of options to consider. As a new member, I am finding that this forum is wonderful and I'll take and use the advice given as I plan for my chicks in the near future.
    Thanks.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by