Aprons!....what do you think about this idea?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Ok so I have some girls with rooster damage. Winter is approaching and my girls stand in the rain. I dont think regular fabric is a good idea. But how about if I make them out of SHADE CLOTH...so they would be able to dry off? I mean, they cant fluff or preen the area covered but I am at a loss. It is supposed to rain this weekend off and on. I have one girl I need to cover today. Ideas? Input? I could cut up an old rain coat or something but not sure how it would stand up to a rooster...kinda slick.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I personaly think aprons and diapers on chickens is silly, IMHO.

4. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Well of course they are silly...Im just trying to prevent bald girls. I dont want to off my roo....[​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Not if you saw my chickens. My god they look like they have been to war. I'm hoping this winter they will snap & quit pecking at each other.

6. imachickenprincess

imachickenprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's awful! I have never understood why they do that! I think that the shade cloth would be a good idea though.

7. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Well my roo is young (only 8 months old) very large (Cochin) and his skills arent so good yet. His big goofy feet have really damaged everyones feathers so they look like they have mange or something. I just made one out of a scrap I had and SHE didnt like it and acted crazy and HE didnt like her acting crazy and punished her several times after chasing her around. (maybe it was the black red and yellow nija fabric! Which was funny really on a white Jersey Giant...I guess I can use a more muted color and try again in a bit. I have 6 girls who gotta get aprons on in the next few days though. Im going to try the shade cloth stuff. At least it is breathable if they get wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by