Aquackulture and Ductions Down Under

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StBob, Aug 22, 2014.

1. StBob

StBob Chillin' With My Peeps

It is Spring here Down Under and my first year Pekin Wendi started laying her first eggs in the "Quack House" (a small dog kennel) on July 30th. After 4 days there were 4 eggs and I took them to eat after candling them first. But Wendi stopped laying there and after a short holiday I came home and found 20 eggs behind a bush in another part of the yard. I checked them and they weren't fertile. My black Cayuga Bob has turned very green lately but it is his first year so not sure if Bob's been "on the job" or just too early. I threw away 12 of the oldest eggs (based on how dirty they were), kept 4 cleanest/newest for eating and put 4 others back in the Quack House to encourage Wendi back there.

My question is this: Wendi must have noticed her first 4 eggs missing and decided her first nest site wasn't safe so moved. What should I have done with a new layer? Remove some eggs and leave others? How many and how soon? What are the chances she will move back to laying in the Quack House? I have shut the gate to the part of the yard she had layed the 20 eggs but there are plenty of other places she might choose, some of which I won't be able to get to.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by