Aquaponics---What's your take?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by 2boys1homestead, Oct 26, 2014.

1. 2boys1homestead

2boys1homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2014
    Pewamo, MI
    I was wondering if anyone here had dabbled in Aquaponics? I think it would be a fun think to get into and I really love Tilapia. If you have any favorite books, websites, or youtube channels about it, please share them! I want to do more research on the subject!

Thanks!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Haven't really looked into it myself much, but yes, I'm keen on it. My take on it is that it seems logical and healthy enough, really, I don't see any solid reason why it shouldn't be done. In future I certainly do want to try it.

Best wishes.

3. 2boys1homestead

Sep 30, 2014
    Pewamo, MI
    I'm hoping if I can get a decent greenhouse one of these days, I will set up a year-round aquaponics system. Then I can have fresh veggies and fresh fish all year! I'll probably have to give some to the neighbors, but that's okay with me!

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking of looking into how to tweak it into a more natural system myself, I'm keen on the more natural sustainable organic stuff personally. I wouldn't consider it if it's just going to be another broad spectrum antibiotic-deluged fish farm, lol.

5. 2boys1homestead

Sep 30, 2014
    Pewamo, MI
    Agreed. I think I would like to keep it someplace where it won't freeze (I'm in michigan), but I want it to be as natural as possible past that point.It would be a nice way to stay in vegetables when it's -10 degrees outside.

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Wonder what sort of other farming you could mix it in with, to keep the heat up. Inside a poultry shed maybe? Inside a barn where the body heat of animals overnight would help prevent it getting to freezing? I don't know, I'm way overdue for coffee, lol.

Best wishes.

7. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    We are seriously going to start running an AP system come spring. Right now I'm still getting all the odds and ends (pump, water tank, grow beds and media) gathered up or built so that right after our last freeze I can get started. We're planning on using native hybrid bluegill perch since they grow as fast as tilapia and taste better IMHO. The build out goal is an in-ground tank near to 500gallons, a submerged pump to feed two 12'x4'x1' grow beds and have an off shoot line for the garden sink to wash veggies. The sink will drain back into the fish tank also. As far as green housing it since we live in Texas I think I can make individual covers for each bed and have them stay warm through the winter. The warmer beds should also help keep the fish tank warmer. For us going AP is really the only viable system where we live. Our property is 99.9% sand with a layer of top soil that is less than 1/4" deep so planting a traditional garden just won't work. That and we have a bunch of deer out there that will just decimate anything planted that they can reach. With the raised grow beds I can fence right along side of them and keep the darn deer out (I hope).

RichnSteph

8. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

That sounds amazing!
    There is a fellow in Prince George British Columbia with a thriving aquaponics business. He raises talapia and various veggies... If I can find it online I will link it here...
    All in all I think it's an amazing approach to sustainability.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  9. hennible

10. hennible

Oh and I saw a tiny fish tank sized system on TV the other day.
    [​IMG]
    There are lots of DIY instructions for little indoor systems... If nothing else you hardly have to clean your fish tank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by