1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aquarium as housing and smelly chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hatrick, May 1, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    So my girls are coming on Tuesday!!! Ahhh! A little freaked out because this day came really fast and no matter how much I read I don't feel quite prepared.

So I have a 50 gallon(?) terrarium that I was going to use for them, figured I could place a divider up and use only half of it for the first little bit and then make it bigger as they got bigger. Does anyone have any opinions on using aquariums? Pros and cons? As well, are those stick on thermometers a decent way to keep track of the temperature?

Plus, my daughter's teacher was saying that the smell of the chicks is going to be overwhelming. We're planning on keeping them in our dining room and now I'm wondering, is it really THAT bad?

Sorry, lots of topics and questions!! [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It's not that bad as long as you keep their encolsure clean, I muck my brooder out once a day and gut the whole thing once a week. If these are gonna be standard sized chickens it could get a bit stinkier but if they start to smell just change out the pine shavings and voila problem solved.

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have always used a tank as a brooder. I like how I can see the chicks through it. There are no drafts and mine has the top. It works great. ANd yes chicks will smell. No matter what you brood them in. [​IMG] You will just have to change their litter often and it should not be a problem. I think the dust from the chicks is worse than the smell. [​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not sure about the space needed- you don't mention how many chicks you have coming....If you keep the area clean, they do not smell that bad. I think the aquarium might be a little hard to clean out? I guess you could just put the chicks into another container and empty the wood chips out- that wouldn't be too bad. I had 27 chicks inside for a month. I cleaned poop every day and completely changed shavings once a week. It really didn't smell- however, be prepared for more dust than you have ever seen in your life!!! Not sure how warm it is where you are- but you may be able to set up your brooder in your coop, if things get too smelly or dusty...Don't worry- Enjoy!!!

5. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

It is relative. If you have 2 chicks it can smell a little. If you have 200 it can smell really bad.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We change the paper towels about 3 times a day and that is with 8 in each brooder (we are currently using milk crates for this first week). And it does smell kinda bad. They are poop-machines![​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I too will be using a 50 gallon aquarium when my next chicks hatch (this weekend!) I set it up yesterday and am all prepared. My husband was thrilled with the idea. The brooder I used last time (doggy crate) was a disaster. I had shavings and chicken starter strewn from one end of the room to the next. I couldn't seem to keep anything clean and those little monsters were messy!

I'm anxious to see how the aquarium works. Good luck with yours!

7. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    good luck! sounds like it should work well [​IMG]

8. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Well I've got four coming, although the store said the hatchery may send more just for insurance. Great...more to get attached to. [​IMG]
    I heard today that the by-laws in this city are NOT chicken friendly, I had tried calling and calling but no one ever got back to me. I guess this means that we'll just have to be as inconspicuous as possible and bribe neighbours with eggs. [​IMG] Wondering though, does anyone find hens noisy? Do you think four would make an impact on my neighbours?

9. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I kept mine in the Dining Room for 5 weeks and never again will that happen. The smell was somewhat bad, but the dust was in a class of it's own. They are in the basement now and will be moving into their new home TOMORROW. At three weeks I felt good but after that, NO WAY. I did have 20 however !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by