Aquarium experts, need advice on tank size.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Year of the Rooster, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    As of now, I have a 55 gallon rectangular freshwater tank and a 60 gallon hexagonal tank. I'm debating on whether I should switch the tanks? I would be moving all sand, rock, and water into the other tank. I've heard that rectangular tanks are better due to the surface area but since the hexagonal one holds more water, which would be better?

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my opinion go with the 55 gallon tank

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Depends on what's going in it. If you are trying discus or angels only, go with the hexagonal since they tend to be taller. Personally I've always had trouble with the rectangular tanks, but then again I have cats and they think the long top is a heat pad just for them [​IMG]

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    From what I've read, the more surface, the more fish you can have in it. Something about more oxygen exchange or what not. So if you want more fish in the SW vs. the FW, I'd go with the 55.

5. upintheholler

upintheholler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Bristol Va/Tn area
    What are you putting in it? I personally dont like the octagon tanks it distorts the fish.

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    As of now, in the SW I have 1 3-4in. Hepatus tang, 1 lyretail chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 coral beauty angelfish, and 1 ocellaris clownfish along with several hermit crabs, nassarius snails, and 2 brittle stars. Oh and there is a Skunk cleaner shrimp. I'm thinking the Tang would like the longer tanks better. I do remember reading though that younger, smaller tangs only swim in a volume of 8 cubic feet? Can't remember, but the 55 gallon still sounds better lol.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Definitely the 55 for that combo!

8. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Thanks! I just needed some reassurance. I got a $125 gift card for the pet store and I want to get more live rock, another clownfish, maybe some other compatible fish, and some equipment.

9. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    for what your keeping in it id go with the 55 gal rectangular. better swimming space.

save the octaganal tank for a pair of freshwater angel fish or...if your up for a real challange, jelly fish or seahorses which do better in a taller tank. (one day i will have a jelly fish tank! with a cool light which changes color slowly!)

10. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I was thinking about maybe making it a planted aquarium. Though I heard these tanks are to hard to light properly. I'll wait and see. Thanks for everyone's thoughts! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by