Aquarium fish illness need help ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NGalanis11, Jan 25, 2014.

1. NGalanis11

NGalanis11 New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    There has been an illness going through my tank which has killed quite a few of my fish already, one by one they are going. I have done many water changes and recently have been treating it with fungal medications yet I do not know if its cloud eye or another disease that I need to treat with antibiotics. The fish have been growing white patches over random parts of their bodies. FIrst it was my millennial rainbow with white blotted areas over his body so I quarantined him and he shortly died within 24 hrs. Next were my three Madagascar rainbows which had the infected areas on their mouths and lastly my boesemani's are becoming infected the female has passed yet the male has it on his eye! Most of the fish have died within 24-48 hrs of showing symptoms. I started treating the tank with api fungus cure and api's pimafix, I am wondering if I have to continue treating it or stop and get antibiotics. I have an 85 gallon tank with about 20-25 other fish in it and want to make sure they stay healthy and safe! Someone please help!! P.S. Sorry they aren't the best quality as I used my phone to take the pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I have decades of experience keeping and breeding fish, and I almost never recommend dumping stuff into their water. I never heard of someone using antibiotics to treat their fish and it being successful, and the times they survive, it's always because of the other things they do. If it were legal, I'd market my own miracle cure, consisting of strong salt water in a bottle, and the instructions would be to do a 50% water change every day, followed by 1 drop per gallon of the "miracle cure". Of course that's not enough salt to do anything, it's the water changes that effect the cure.

What you have is not fungal, but bacterial, and the bacteria are mostly feeding on tissue that is already dead. The primary affliction of your fish is stress, probably brought on by water that has become increasingly toxic overtime. Increase your water changes, raise the water temp to 78 or 80F, and add 1 tsp of salt (NaCl) per gallon of water. Everytime you change water, add that amount of salt to the new water. If you are already using salt, add, the 1 tsp / gallon to whatever you are already using.

Rainbows have a high tolerance for salt. Some other fish, notably Corydoras, and most plants do not. It appears you have live plants, they may suffer from the sodium, especially if the water is soft (low Calcium). Still, they will likely survive for a while.

What is your current temp and hardness, and how often do you change the water ?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. NGalanis11

NGalanis11 New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    Ever since this has been going on iv been doing 50% water changes about every few days because once a fish dies I feel the need to cleanse the water from the decaying fish and have always been putting salt into the tank. I have been putting a tablespoon per 5 gallons that I change out I have put minimal fungal cure into it (enough to treat 10-20 gallons in an 85 gallon tank because I as well don't trust these fishy medications.) My water temperature has always been high like that and legitimately at 80.8 degrees. I tested the water yesterday and everything was normal besides my pH was a little low around the 6 range. When I woke up this morning I was almost sure he had died because all my others who undergone this illness haven't made it through the night and I was right little guy didn't make it. I have quite a few expensive fish so ill be doing a 50% water change and post a few pics of the tank within the next hr or so because it is a heavily live planted tank I even have co2 being pumped into the tank for the plants and had quite the array of rainbows, tetras and other community fish. Thank you for your time and helping me through my dilemma.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Fish are so delicate. If one of them has something, it is passed so easily thru the water. When I kept them, I found that once I had a good batch of fish to never add to the tank with new fish! LOL My brother is really good with fish and has kept them for decades. He knows how to keep them alive, heal them and they just live for ever. I had some luck, sometimes not. They are enjoyable to keep when they stay alive! LOL

6. NGalanis11

NGalanis11 New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    TwoCrows - I really don't think its ick, I have seen and had to treat ick before and this isn't like small white blotches through out the fish, it is usually confound to one area and seems to swell/bound itself to the one area and the fish don't live more then a day tops 2 which Is very abnormal for ick if that were the case. Thanks for your time and voicing your opinion.

7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I agree, it's not ick, that's small, clearly delineated white dots. If it's cottony patches, it's columnaris, a bacteria that feeds only on dead tissue. I produces toxins that can kill adjacent tissue, but it's easily overcome by the immune system of a healthy fish. I've never encountered in in my tanks, even when I was breeding rainbows and selling them as a hobby.

There is no fungus that attacks living fish in aquaria, that's a myth that pet stores promote because is looks like fungus to them. Their main goal is to sell you meds and then replacement fish when the meds fail to cure the problem. Salt is the only thing you should add unless you have a sure diagnosis. Even then, the cure is likely adding more salt. BTW, salt does kill some infectious agents because they are not as tolerant of wide changes to the osmotic pressure around them as higher organisms (your fish). But the main thing the salt does is to reduce stress on the fish and promote more of a slime coat (yeah, the expensive AP products can do the same thing as cheap table salt, go figure)

In my experience, once a fish is visibly sick, they rarely recover. That outcome is the same whether you add nothing, salt, or expensive meds. I don't bother treating sick fish, I'm treating the healthy ones that remain, and treating the ecosystem in the tank to make it healthier. If the fish recovers, and sometimes they do, it's great, but mainly I want to prevent any further problems.

An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure.

Now, as to the specifics here. Keep the temp about 80 and double the amount of salt. You want it well above the baseline it usually is. If you are willing to put your plants at risk, you can keep adding salt until it's very high. Seawater is about a cup per gallon, and marine salt is perfectly balanced and much safer at higher concentrations if you have any of that around. Rainbows can be slowly adapted to about half the concentration of seawater, perhaps even more, but at some point, increasing the concentration becomes more stressful than the benefit. I'd add a tablespoon per 5 gal every day, or every other day until you see improvement. When you change the water, you need to add salt at the current levels to your replacement water as well.

For water changes, be sure you are using a gravel vac and trying to really clean things. Good filtration helps too, try to make the water as pristine as possible. Good luck.

8. NGalanis11

NGalanis11 New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    Your help is much appreciated, I am using a gravel vacuum and the rest of my fish seem to be doing well. I have no problem putting the plants at risk they have been doing phenomenal and are much much much cheaper then the fish are and much easier replacable. Ill do the water change and clean my gravel vigorously again and post some pics of my tank without the nasty green chemical in it. The only reassuring thing going on in my tank is that my yellow rainbows are still breeding which means they are healthy and will hopefully have continued success. Once I get this treated I am going to take you up on your tips for breeding the rainbows because I still have yet to be able to hatch my yellow rainbows eggs but we will get into that after I clean and post pictures of my tank.

9. NGalanis11

NGalanis11 New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    Ok so here's my tank its an 80 gallon with 2 submersible filters, air pump and co2 perculator. Still has a slight green tint too it hence why it's still a little cloudy from the fungus cure but the rest of my fish are looking good and aren't showing any symptoms like the other ones were. Hopefully they can stay that way.. Thank you everyone for helping me through my dilemma. I have dosed the tank with nearly double the amount of salt I was using and here is a list of fish that are currently in the tank:
    - a pair of Yellow Rainbows
    - female Millennial Rainbow
    - 4 Celebese Rainbows
    - 3 Long-finned Congo Tetras
    - 2 Congo Tetras
    - 3 Neon Tetras
    - 3 Serpae Tetras
    - 3 Black Skirt Tetras
    - 2 Electric Blue Cobalt Rams
    - 3 Giant Danios
    - 4 Long-finned Zebra/Leopard Danios
    - Petricola Synodontis
    - Iridescent Shark
    - Albino Long-finned Spinney Bristlenose Pleco
    - Royal Green Pleco

If it wasn't for this bacterial infection, I'd still have my 3 Madagascar rainbows, 2 Boesemanis, a male Millenial, and a Peacock Gudgeon. But I am always looking to add to my community if anyone has any hidden gems that they would like to get out I would appreciate hearing and learning about them and am always looking forward to adding new buddies to my tank. Here are a few pictures of what my tank looks like right now. Once again thank you everyone for your help.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by