Aquarium Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Feb 16, 2012.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I've decided I want to try to make a new incubator. Out of an aquarium, I have a heat mat from my old leopard gecko (she passed away a few yrs ago). I also have a heatlamp and a few other things. I was just checking what you guys think about making an incubator out of it? When I start building it I will show you what I have so far.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I did! I have 18 eggs in mine right now! It is going great in my 10 gallon tank . I think that a heat lamp may be too strong for an aquarium. But try it out because that is the only way you learn. I used 100 watt bulb set on a dimmer switch.

Here is a link with more information/pictures of my incubator: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/628541/just-set-my-first-eggs-follow-my-progress-here

Feel free to ask questions or for more pictures because I would be more then happy to help you out.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    awesome! I just finished cleaning out the old aquarium, I think that your egg turner idea was brilliant. My heat lamp that I have is very old thought and a tug on the cord cause it to spark.. What do you think about a heatmat? I'll starting building it then post a few pictures

4. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] my setup with the heatmat. put a towel over the top to trap in the heat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by