Aquarium plant bulbs.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Reformed, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Reformed

Reformed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Okay so about two weeks ago I bought these lily bulbs at Wal Mart and I was wondering has anyone else had these and was successful with them and how long did it take for them to grow. Thanks

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I've grown these before. If they sprout roots and shoots (not all of them are viable), you should put them into a small container without holes. I have used the single serving yogurt cups. Fill the cup about 1/2 or 2/3 with soil from outside, the more clay the better, but any clean outdoor soil will work. Put the bulb, roots down into the cup and fill around it with gravel. Water it to the top and when the bubbles mostly stop, carefully submerge it in the tank. Give it lots of light and watch it grow!

3. Reformed

Mar 30, 2013
    That should work pretty good because we have little plastic pots that have held other plants, Have you'res ever bloomed before?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I tired them and the batch I had never sprouted. The company sent me new ones and I think one or two of them came up but I don't remember what happened after that. I tried those after my disappointment with petsmart plants.

5. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Mine did bloom, but they weren't that pretty. There are 2 types of bulbs you can find, some are dwarf water lilies, these rarely bloom indoors, but will in a pond for the summer. The others are Apontogetons, those bloom readily and even set seed, though the seeds are usually eaten by the fish.

There are 3 ways to get good aquatic plants:
    1. aquabid.com
    2. mail order companies like Arizona Aquatic Gardens
    3. local fish and aquatic gardeners clubs - depends on where you are and how far you can travel, but these can be the very best and least expensive sources ever.

6. Reformed

Mar 30, 2013
    The bulbs that I bought are dwarf water Lily's, They did have the Apontogetons but I was reading on there package and they grow up to 8 inches and my ten gallon aquarium in only twelve inches tall, so I went with the shorter water lily's.

7. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    The dwarf lilies will certainly not get enough light to bloom in your tank. They have to reach the top and bloom above water anyway. But they are nice plants to try, and cheap.

8. Reformed

Mar 30, 2013
    I do have a aquarium light that I keep on for most of the day so that would be something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by