Aquatic plants to filter duck pond?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello!

I'm wondering if there's any plants I could grow in a small pond I'm making for when my ducks grow up to help keep the water clean. I'd still clean it out whenever it needed to be cleaned out, but is there some sort of plant that could keep it slightly cleaner because I don't want my ducks to have to play in / drink dirty water all the time. ( My friend has ducks and they get their water all muddy even though she cleans it out everyday ). If not, do you guys have other ideas for filtering a small pond? I've heard goldfish don't work because the ducks will eat them, and I don't know if there's any aquatic plants that would actually work. If not, i'll just clean it out as often as I need to.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Goldfish also don't work because they are probably the fish that produce the MOST waste out of all fish ever.

If you're completely constructing a 'pond' you could just get a pond filter. If you're using a kiddie pool or similar, then IDK.
ohh ok, yeah definitely not getting goldfish lol. Also it's gonna be kinda like a large kiddy pool dug into the ground I think. Thanks for responding!

No problem! Do you have pictures?
Here kind of like this :)
5149E311-0C63-4D2D-BC30-B5EB35CA51F8.jpeg

For most plants to grow, they need to be able to take root in dirt. If you had one deep enough to have a couple inches or dirt (that would turn into mud when it gets wet) then you could probably add plants. No idea which ones to use, though. Or, you could do something like that, where the pool is surrounded by wood, and thus much harder to get dirty.

For most plants to grow, they need to be able to take root in dirt. If you had one deep enough to have a couple inches or dirt (that would turn into mud when it gets wet) then you could probably add plants. No idea which ones to use, though. Or, you could do something like that, where the pool is surrounded by wood, and thus much harder to get dirty.
oh ok, yeah I think I'll surround it by wood then. I also just found a few aquatic plants that filter water, so maybe if I just add a layer of dirt to the bottom of the pond and have the pond pretty deep it'll work. If not though it should be pretty easy to clean out just by dumping out the water and then refilling it daily. Thanks for the help!

What they don't eat they will uproot to play with.

The amount of fecal matter ducks add is astounding.

I believe most people go with just pool cleaning....drain/dump then rinse and refill.

Even my 50 gallon stock tank in a ducky deck is gross within minutes of fully cleaning.
Ok thank you! I guess aquatic plants won't work then, so I'll just have to find another way like dumping it or draining it.

Back
Top Bottom