Arab and Indian women, the cultural difference

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by EweSheep, Dec 23, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Can anyone tell me the difference in the woman's status in her family?

I have a cousin who is dating an Indian (India) man and my family is trying to understand the difference in cultral status and how to behave and whether she would cope with his culture if she ever decided to marry him. She is a HS graduate, still living with parents, going to college as a sophmore become a radiologist.

She has been dating him for a year and a half. She paid everything for him for his birthdays, eating out and exchanging Xmas presents with his family. They do go to family functions together but not much on her side of the family. He did not pay for anything on their dates, flowers, candies, birthdays, etc. because it was against his culture to "treat" women. However his family are from India (beautiful people, mind you!) and they spoil him rotten, paying everything whatever he wanted while he goes to school here in the US.

So, I know the Arabs disapprove US method of dating or "dutch dating". I am very vague in that area in their dating customs. I am totally stupid in the India dating style as well. However if the kids and grandkids of parents that came over here in the US from India, they might have done like we do nowadays.

Do the women MUST walk so many paces behind the man in public? Do they show affection? (to husband and kids)

What role does the mother play in her son's decisions in life? Does she ever show him how women would like this or that? How about their fathers?

PLEASE FOLKS, please refrain from racial bashing or degrading comments or the mods will shut it down. It is a learning curve for me to learn about the Arabian and Indian cultures and how they are similar and how different they are when it comes to family life, dating life and the taboos.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    There is no cultur where man suppose to be treat to date some one.This guy dos not know what is love and is user.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:LOL! In America, our American guys would be a user if he does not love her and uses her LOL!

Honestly, the cultural or their tradition.

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I have 2 indians friends who work with me.Friday I will ask them if no body help you before that.But in any place in Eart man has to buy presants and please the woman.Share pay for dina is new.I do not like this guy

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    By Arabs do you mean middle Eastern?

If you ask any of my Iranian friends there woman walk with them not behind them. In the Koran(sp ck) it says no where they walk behind there men, etc etc. That was brought on by supression by a regime in the name of religion. My friends are all muslim and say in any religion you can get cult like idiots.

As for Indian woman i have no clue but i am sure it would differ if either race is in the USA and modern VS in their home land and doing it like their elders. I do know my Middle eastern friends and even muslim convert friends all treated their wives like queens(and in multiple wives, they all get the same treatment) I am sure though in some things the man is a man and the wife takes on a certian role but americans do that as well. Like i stay home with kids, hubby works...yadda yadda

Now if we were in another country IDK??? I know the are very different though on how they raise their girls VS boys.

I think a 50/50 is a good relationship. By having one play a 100% role the other seems like a mooch...LOL But some people like to be the baller!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Middle Eastern....such as Saudi Arabian or anyone calls themselves Arabian. I think the Egyptians can call themselves Arabians but not sure where it would divide the line.

I know the men work primarily outside of the home while women work at home. Certainly there are exceptions. I know Indian people have come a long ways since Ghandi (the women leader) was assasinated by her guards. I am not sure about Bhutto. Women can go to school and get some higher learning degree and be able to work abroad. Would the decision be made by the husband or do their spouses confer each other if she decided to continue her education or serious decision making that could affect the family?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My husband works with many of middle eastern and asian nationalities. I have never seen or heard such behavior.

Sadly, your young family member maybe the victim of a user.

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:yeah, i gotta agree with this one!! Is his name Dave? If so, tell him he owes me 17,897 in child support.....hahahahah
    Sounds JUST like him~

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    "Land and property rights
    In most Indian families , women do not own any property in their own names, and do not get a share of parental property.[21] Due to weak enforcement of laws protecting them, women continue to have little access to land and property.[36] In fact, some of the laws discriminate against women, when it comes to land and property rights.
    The Hindu personal laws of mid-1956s (applied to Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains) gave women rights to inheritance. However, the sons had an independent share in the ancestral property, while the daughters' shares were based on the share received by their father. Hence, a father could effectively disinherit a daughter by renouncing his share of the ancestral property, but the son will continue to have a share in his own right. Additionally, married daughters, even those facing marital harassment, had no residential rights in the ancestral home. After amendment of Hindu laws in 2005, now women in have been provided the same status as that of men.[37]
    In 1986, the Supreme Court of India ruled that Shah Bano, an old divorced Muslim woman was eligible for maintenance money. However, the decision was vociferously opposed by fundamentalist Muslim leaders, who alleged that the court was interfering in their personal law. The Union Government subsequently passed the Muslim Women's (Protection of Rights Upon Divorce) Act.[38]
    Similarly, the Christian women have struggled over years for equal rights of divorce and succession. In 1994, all the churches, jointly with women's organisations, drew up a draft law called the Christian Marriage and Matrimonial Causes Bill. However, the government has still not amended the relevant laws.[12]

Crimes against women
    Police records show high incidence of crimes against women in India. The National Crime Records Bureau reported in 1998 that the growth rate of crimes against women would be higher than the population growth rate by 2010.[21] Earlier, many cases were not registered with the police due to the social stigma attached to rape and molestation cases. Official statistics show that there has been a dramatic increase in the number of reported crimes against women.[21]

Sexual harassment
    Half of the total number of crimes against women reported in 1990 related to molestation and harassment at the workplace.[21] Eve teasing is a euphemism used for sexual harassment or molestation of women by men. Many activists blame the rising incidents of sexual harassment against women on the influence of "Western culture". In 1987, The Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act was passed[39] to prohibit indecent representation of women through advertisements or in publications, writings, paintings, figures or in any other manner.
    In 1997, in a landmark judgement, the Supreme Court of India took a strong stand against sexual harassment of women in the workplace. The Court also laid down detailed guidelines for prevention and redressal of grievances. The National Commission for Women subsequently elaborated these guidelines into a Code of Conduct for employers.[21]

Dowry
    Main articles: Dowry, Dowry death, and Dowry law in India
    In 1961, the Government of India passed the Dowry Prohibition Act,[40] making the dowry demands in wedding arrangements illegal. However, many cases of dowry-related domestic violence, suicides and murders have been reported. In the 1980s, numerous such cases were reported.[34]
    In 1985, the Dowry Prohibition (maintenance of lists of presents to the bride and bridegroom) rules were framed.[41] According to these rules, a signed list of presents given at the time of the marriage to the bride and the bridegroom should be maintained. The list should contain a brief description of each present, its approximate value, the name of whoever has given the present and his/her relationship to the person. However, such rules are hardly enforced.
    A 1997 report[42] claimed that at least 5,000 women die each year because of dowry deaths, and at least a dozen die each day in 'kitchen fires' thought to be intentional. The term for this is "bride burning" and is criticized within India itself. Amongst the urban educated, such dowry abuse has reduced considerably.

Child marriage
    Child marriage has been traditionally prevalent in India and continues to this day. Historically, young girls would live with their parents till they reached puberty. In the past, the child widows were condemned to a life of great agony, shaving heads, living in isolation, and shunned by the society.[20] Although child marriage was outlawed in 1860, it is still a common practice.[43]
    According to UNICEF’s “State of the World’s Children-2009” report, 47% of India's women aged 20–24 were married before the legal age of 18, with 56% in rural areas.[44] The report also showed that 40% of the world's child marriages occur in India.[45]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_India

10. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't think it has anything to do with the guy being Indian. A butt is a butt. A heel is a heel.

Pretty sure it would be the same in all cultures the guy is an OOOPS almost slipped. Well let's just say that this guy is the same thing you would be looking at, if you were looking at the south end of a north bound horse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by