aracana with white eye mucus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Volcano Eggs, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Volcano Eggs

Volcano Eggs New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    Volcano, near Kilauea
    This morning I discovered one of my aracana hens with white eye mucus on both eyes. It was covering the front part of the eyes to the point that she couldn't see well enough to hop off the roost.

She has been scratching it off, so her eyes are clear now, but I'm keeping her isolated, until I know what to do for her.

I've not seen this on any of our hens till now.

We are fairly isolated, and live up the mountain on the Big Island of Hawaii, so our diseases will be limited to what is going around here.

We did introduce some new birds a month ago, and a few of them had fowl pox, but that hasn't spread to any of the other hens.

So. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing white eye mucus ? How to treat it ?

Thanks,
    -Steve

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    This will often accompany vit A deficiency (and vit A def often accompanies resp illness).
    Three or four drops of POLYVISOL ENFAMIL formaulation (this is a liquid childrens vitamin) once a day for a week then taper off the next might clear this up. Keep separated.

4. Volcano Eggs

Volcano Eggs New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    Volcano, near Kilauea
    Thank you both, lismrog, and dlhunicorn, for your tips and advise. I've kept her seperated, and she hasn't shown signs of white mucus for a day. We're going to get some medicine from the feed store, and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by