aracauna/ee

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elabraleon, Nov 28, 2010.

1. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Why in every single post where someone has an aracauna do they get corrected and told they have an easter egger? just curious. I've never had either, just noticed the trend and thought I'd ask.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Because Araucanas are a separate breed. . . They're rumpless (no tail) tufted (not muffs or a beard) and they only lay blue eggs. Plus, you cannot find them at any hatchery, feedstore, or common neighborhood breeder. They're pretty rare, honestly. Here's some of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easter Eggers are mutt chickens sold under false claim to be Ameraucanas or Araucanas (both completely diferent breeds) by hatcheries or feedstores, and of course, even backyard breeders. They usually have muffs and beard, green legs, lay almost any color of egg, and come in almost any color.

Here's two of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Mostly because hatcheries market their EEs as "aracaunas". People don't mean to be rude, they just want to let the OP know that they were possibly duped. If I paid money for a breed of chicken I would want to know if it was pure or not. Just my opinion.

Illia you beat me to it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Quote:Beautiful birds!
    And Illia hit it on the head. [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Illia I had no idea you had true Araucanas! Those are some beautiful birds. I'm a little jealous now [​IMG]

6. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I can see the differences in those photos. Thanks so much for explaining.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:You should visit the Araucana thread sometime. [​IMG] I post photos of my girls and boys there quite often. I don't often mention them that much probably because my only APA accepted color of Araucana is a silver duckwing girl with no mate. . . So, I just have "AOV" Araucanas, as my sig even says.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by