aracauna lays brown egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chooniecat, Sep 13, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I have (what I bought as,from meyer) a 7 month old aracauna that is laying brown eggs. the other two are doing light blue/green. she WAS going to be an eventual stew-pot bird but she is just an underdog(bottom of pecking order) and gentle and easy to hold,pet,deal with bird so I may have a pet. I knew the numbers weren't right when I have 3 aracaunas(blue/green egg layers) and 3 brown egg layers and most days I get 4 brown eggs and occasionally 2 blue in a day. My point IS I just went to shed to check on week old bb's and this aracauna was sitting on top of food bin(which is concave) with her brown egg.(this is 6:30 pm) and I have never asked on here but do we know if layers are supposed to do it sooner in the day or is it normal for late-day eggs?[​IMG]

2. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    What you have are called easter eggers. Hatcheries dont sell true Araucanas. True Araucanas are tuffed and tailless birds. I have a bird that likes to lay around 6 pm. but most of mine lay earlier in the day.

3. doxpeople

doxpeople Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I also have an easter egger that lays brown eggs and is a dusk laying kind of girl. I always know I can count on her to either make my evening or first thing in the morning with an egg [​IMG]

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Yup, I have a brown-laying Easter Egger here too. Kind of a bummer but she is a pretty bird.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Meyer sells thiers as
    Quote:

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Yes, you have Easter Eggers.

I have three hens that have just started to lay and they lay somewhere after 11 and before 4 --For some reason I always thought hens did their business early in the morning...but my girls are not 'morning' girls--just like my dd!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by