Aracauna?? Rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Charlene1234, May 15, 2008.

1. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    We just got a bunch of chicks. First time chicken owners! Got four Aracaunas in our bunch and this one doesn't look like the others. Never has. SHE (we though they all were pullets) had a chocoloate head. So, we named her chocolate. She's super friendly now (about 6 weeks old). She has a very pink comb though and it looks like there is 3 little combs coming in. Do we have a little boy instead?? I suppose Chocolate's name can stay since it doesn't matter. But we really love this little chicken - the most friendly thing. The others aren't half as friendly as she is. What do you all think? We also got a BR Roo in the bunch as well. He's growing a good size comb and the other 2 BRs aren't. So we have TWO roos out of 12 and we have two more SLWs but they're too little to know yet. We got a variety b/c they are so fun to watch and they all are beautiful in their own way. Anyway, Here's Chocolate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Chocolate is beautiful but with that comb, I'd think he is a male. I had two that had combs like that at 4 weeks and one had even started to crow...it was a funny chick-like crow, but he had the stance all figured out and everything. It was hilarious!! [​IMG]

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    It does look very red for a female so I would have to say male but make sure before you decide to get rid of chocolate.

I have had some difficulty telling the difference of my Ameracuanas as well.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Chocolate is an EE cockerel. He is going to be very handsome. My Oreo looked very similar to him when he was younger.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by