Aracauna Sexing Help

Aerielle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Orange, CA
Hello all, picked up two aracaunas last minute at the Norco chicken meetup. They were sold last minute in the parking lot as pullets who were a couple of months old. Combs are shanks are inconsistent between them, and it seems I always pick a roo so here they are! Let me know what you think. They have quite distinctive personalities, much more game bird.

I'm leaning towards cockerel for the whiter chicks, the blue one is a pullet. They are also not Araucanas. Araucanas are very rare and are mostly obtained from reputable breeders (they are very noticeable as they have ear tufts). They aren't even Easter Eggers. It looks like whoever sold them to you lied, and as you said, the white chick probably has some game fowl in him. The Blue chick might be an EE or possibly a Blue Sumatra (though I am not seeing much of a comb). :)

Last edited:
The blue one does have little ear tufts, tho hard to see. It is so hard to trust some breeders when you meet them in a meetup environment and not a show. He did say he breeds Araucanas specifically and has about 500 in commercial pens but who knows. I'm not familiar with the breed and was taken by how unusual they were. My silkies have no idea what to think of them!

The blue one does have little ear tufts, tho hard to see. It is so hard to trust some breeders when you meet them in a meetup environment and not a show. He did say he breeds Araucanas specifically and has about 500 in commercial pens but who knows. I'm not familiar with the breed and was taken by how unusual they were. My silkies have no idea what to think of them!

Oh I didn't notice those ear tufts! :p It seems that in the photo they were a but cut off by the cage wire. I am also noticing some tiny tufts on the white one too.
I'm going to take back what I've been blabbing about. :D

They are most likey Araucanas.:) But the white chick is still roosterish to me.
How old are they?

Last edited:
I'm thinking blue pullet; I too am leaning that the white is rooster...that's a lot of comb and pink...and looks like 3 pea rows could be developing. Not always indicator of roo, but often. And those are red bars coming into the wings, often a sign of a rooster...however I am not familiar with Araucanas.

Lady of McCamley

The blue bird could possibly be a aracauna, but I'd still expect to see more tufts. I also can't tell if she's truely rumpless...and her comb looks more rose than pea, that's just an awful wide spot for a pea comb.

The white bird is likely a cockerel, and not an aracauna at all. Sorry.

I'll try and get some more pics today. The white one was dominant when I introduced them to my flock, just not sure if cockerel behaviour or a strong pullet trying to make an impression in a new environment. I already have four silkie cockerels I need to rehome! So really hoping these two are pullets!!

The description I was given for the white one when purchased was clean faced aracaunas project color - mottled calico. "She" has gray mottling on the back of her neck as well as the red. It looks like 3 rows on the pea comb coming in. They are both rumpless, look like mini ostriches! Very self aware of themselves and their surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom