1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

aracauna sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cottagechick, Aug 4, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have two Aracaunas. I THINK that the one with the bigger comb is 3.5 months. I THINK the one with the smaller comb is 2.5 months. The ad stated she had birds that were two to three months old. I have had them for a little over two weeks. Since I didn't pick them up I didn't actually speak to her. They are both, of course, supposed to be hens. There has been no aggressive behavior. I am not familiar with this breed and am concerned. I haven't heard any crowing. I attributed the larger comb to the age difference. But when the younger ones comb started coming in it looked redder to me. I think that I have heard that red combs either mean they are getting ready to lay or they are roos??? Any thoughts based on these pics?
    Thanks, (Now lets see if the pics actually show up...) [​IMG]
    Julie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I think they're both girls. [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It looks to me like you actually have two completely different comb types there. The one on the right looks to be a single comb. It is true that combs start to turn red right before they start laying but that is usually 1-2 weeks before laying. At 2-3 months old, yours are still a long way from that point (think of 20 weeks as the approximate point you will start to see eggs). When a comb turns red at a young age, it can be sign that you have a cockerel rather than a pullet. In this photo it is pretty hard to tell. The one on the left is showing a little pink but whether it is enough to be a boy depends a lot on the actual age. There are other indicators of gender that could be determined by a full body (profile) shot. What we would be looking for are hackle (neck), saddle and sickle feathers that are pointy rather than round. If you can take full body shots and post them, we'll see if we can get some better guesses for you.

ETA: Oops my bad. For some reason when I first looked at this, the second pic didn't show up and I didn't see it until after I posted.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Looks like girls to me.

5. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    they both look pullet to me but i think you have been mislead they may both be ees you will know for sure if they produce green eggs. still learning but my girls are not amerucanas they are ees an beauties anyway

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    They are both Araucanas, just 1 happened to have a single comb, which is not the standard. But it does have nice tufts. Both are rumpless, so it seems anyway, another tell tale sign of an Araucana. At this point I would say 2 pullets, but I cant be 100% sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by