aracauna vs. americauna. i dont know

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flock Runner, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i recently got some new chickens and they all just started laying. i thought i got aracaunas, bantoms and houdans but im having 2nd thoughts. my new roo and my hen look a lot like americaunas. do auracaunas come in blue, because thats what color my hen is, and my roo is a pretty red color. i also thought that they layed green, blue, and pink eggs. ive been getting random white eggs and i don't have any white egg laying birds unless houdans lay white eggs, but i thought that they didnt lay all that much. my old girl is an aracauna that lays green eggs, and i think my other new hen is an aracauna. do you think maybe the white eggs are actually pink, and if so, then would it be more likeley that an aracauna or an americauna layed them?
    sorry its a lot of questions, but im a little confused. [​IMG]

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
  3. sunnyllama

sunnyllama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Northeast Ohio
  4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    It is not only the egg color that defines the birds..
    this turquoise egg is from an easter egger...
    [​IMG]

The link to the John Blehm article is very good.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If I were you, I'd go to the breeds database and look at both Araucana and Ameraucana and that will give you a better idea of the differences between them. If you got them from a hatchery, they are most likely Easter Eggers. Also, just so you know "bantoms" are not a breed. A bantam refers to a chicken that is a smaller size (and therefore lays a smaller egg) than a standard chicken. As with the standard breeds, bantams come in many different breeds.

6. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i know. i got a sebret hen and i just thought i'd include her. i know which eggs she lays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by