Aracaunas, EE's, or Ameracauna?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyLove, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    I'm just not sure what exactly they are! All of them have the greenish legs, but the gal who gave them to me said they were Aracaunas. However she had THREE different chicken types. I know they aren't Polish! Here's a few pics. And if at all possible, is someone able to identify whether the little brownish one with the longest tail feathers and lighter head is going to be a roo? Thankyou [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I have/had (rooster now has a new home) 3 Ameraucana (Easter Egger) chickens. The leg color is right for an Ameraucana/EE. My rooster had the shortest tail of the 3 and obviously thicker/stockier legs. At 5 weeks you should know because if you have a rooster, it's 3-pea comb will start growing in quite rapidly. Here is a photo of mine for comparison. These pictures were taken at 5 weeks old.

Here is a pullet.
    [​IMG]

Here is a rooster.
    [​IMG]

3. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I noticed that one of your Ameraucana/EE (the one with the long tail) has coloring like a Speckled Sussex however the leg color is not right. Hmmmm....

4. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I had a thought. She could have just breed a Speckled Sussex with a chicken with the blue egg gene. Same with the others. The light colored one could be mixed with a white chicken breed. I could be wrong though. Anyone else have some insight?

5. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Well, They are not Aracaunas because they have tail feathers. Aracaunas are "rumpless".

Past that, it gets kinda difficult. I have some chicks that just hatched 9 days ago from beautiful blue eggs sold to me as Ameracaunas. I have found info on SEVERAL websites and I'm still not sure if they are Ameracaunas or EE's. It seems anything that comes from a colored egg gets randomly labled one of these three breeds. There is a page here on Easter Eggers that has some great photos. The breed clubs, are good places to look as well.

Mine have muffs, can't tell about yours. One thing is for sure, well, two things. The birds in all three breeds are beautiful and lay interesting eggs. I keep telling myself nothing else matters but my curiosity keeps getting the better of me. [​IMG]

6. ChickyLove

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Hmmm, I kind of thought the coloring on the long tailed one (Enoch) was a bit different than what I had ever seen! The little yellowy one (Buttercup) has VERY green legs, and her feathers are coming in faster. The darkest one (Bo Peep) is not feathering out as fast and her legs are bit lighter. So, they definitely are NOT Aracauna's, to clarify? The gal has Polish, Aracauna, Ameracauna/EE. But no Speckled Sussex as far as I know. Are Ameracauna and Aracauna very different fromm one another except the tails? These littles are a little over three weeks old right now. Will there be a drastic difference between now and 5 weeks? I'm realizing that while I know what I need to know about care/love/feed/water/meds/treats/habitat/heat etc. I know not a lot about what their breed really is LOL!

7. ChickyLove

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    YAY! I just discovered that Buttercup as a chick looks IDENTICAL to a Wheaten Ameraucana chick! Now if I can just figure out if she's a bantam or a large fowl, I'll be happy. Still working on the other two!

8. ChickyLove

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    By the way, Hmmcc123 - I used to live in Tacoma! Right near Proctor. We moved last year and I miss the area horribly!

9. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Unless she is "prubreed" not Aurecana/Americana...that has been a problem from start...You probably have EE...but still no problem unless you want a show bird...Just find out...My girl is still too you for egg laying she stowed away in a batch... she wasen't to be here....but I got her anyway....GODS DIVINITY!!! LOL....And she is DIVINE!! Her name is Elizabeth and I love her to death....she sleeps and eats on me at 3 weeks...LOL But check out the AMER..and AUR...I was confused to but you prob have EE wich are diff off breed... but not much different they are still good...blue/green egg layers...Just alot of confusion....

10. ChickyLove

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Thankyou Tclegg! I just got a message from the gal I got these little chicks from. She has more breeds penned together than I thought: polish, auracana,red stars, a frizzle, silkie, & dark Brahma rooster. So now I REALLY don't know for sure what I actually have LOL! I mentioned in a different thread last night that the darkest one I think may be a roo kind of looks similar to a turkey poult! One way or the other, the are darling and we are very blessed to have such pretty and sweet little critters in our care. I can't wait to see what they grow up to look like!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by