aracaunus egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by endo12, Dec 28, 2010.

1. endo12

endo12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    We have an Aracaunus who lays brown eggs. All the others lay the traditional bluish eggs. How common is it to get brown eggs from this breed? Just wondering.

2. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Hi,
    Does the hen have a pea comb or straight comb? The hens are probably EE not Aracaunus, Aracaunus are rump-less.
    Joe

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    My best advice would be to take a picture of
    your hen and post it. Some of the folks on this
    board are extremely knowledgable about breeds.

A pic will help.

4. endo12

Mar 1, 2010
    I had to go look because they actually have little to no comb, as a group. The comb on this one is rather flat. None of our Aracaunus are rumpless. So it looks like I ordered Aracaunus and got something else. Obviously some of them do lay blue eggs. They are nearly four years old and we get a blue egg everyone once in awhile - sometimes several a day - out of these four hens. This one was injured and is now temporarily isolated so I know she's laying brown eggs. Thanks for the genetics lesson. Makes sense. If we order them again, are there breeders that give "true" Aracaunus?

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought Araucana was the rumpless one and Ameracauna had the big boo-tay. Are you sure you did not get a mongrel Easter Egger?

Where did you get the birds? I am thinking about Ameraucanas for my next batch.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If you ordered them thru a hatchery they're EE's. Even tho they sell them as Aracaunas they aren't really. Hinkjc has true Aracanaus.

7. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Sorry, but the name of the breed is ARAUCANA.

8. endo12

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks for the correction. Yes, we got them from a hatchery. This is the only one we've isolated to know and found out egg color. We do get some blue eggs from others. Will try to get pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by