Aracuana .... When will the eggs come?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelyeliot, Sep 27, 2007.

1. kelyeliot

kelyeliot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Western New York
    I have 3 Aracuanas and I am waiting for the eggs. Are they late to lay? They were born May 14th.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Nope, they aren't late and should be getting ready to lay for you soon. My Easter Eggers are the same age as yours and I'm anxiously awaiting for that first egg too!

Dawn

3. marko15

marko15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Liberty, PA
    Look at the post "what are wattles for" , I actually was told this by the guy who trained me to butcher [​IMG]

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Just have patience. Mine were hatched on April 11 and only one out of my 5 Araucanas/Ameraucana just started laying last week at 24 wks old. It's so exciting to get a colored egg. My Araucanas seem to be maturing slower than my RIR's and SLW. All 6 of RIR's are laying and a few of SLW are laying. Still waiting for a few SLW and 4 of the Araucanas to start. It's so much fun! Aren't the Araucanas such a sweet breed? Mine remind me of Kitty cats.

5. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    sigh... My EEs seem to be getting red around the combs and face but the roo pays no attention to them so I'll probably be waiting awhile. Mine are almost 22 weeks. Southern28chick's are the same age and hers are laying. I'm a bit frustrated but you can't force nature to do its' thing. Guess we'll learn patience.

6. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:I bet they will lay very soon. Are they squatting submissively yet? I know it is frustrating. All the anticipation waiting for a pretty colored egg. I felt the same way waiting for mine to finally lay. Still waiting for the rest to kick in. Everyday I think that I'll find 2 colored eggs, but nope.

7. kelyeliot

kelyeliot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Western New York
    Thanks everyone for the input. My Aracuanas have red faces now for about two weeks. This must be a good sign. Also I can't find the posting What are whattles for.

8. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Are their combs a little more pronounced? Are they squatting?
    I bet they are getting ready very soon. Keep us posted.

I've collected my one and only colored olive/mint green egg for the day, but Fuzz is sitting in the nest right now so..........maybe, just maybe I'll have 2 for the day. She maybe just teasing me.

9. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    i am still waiting also. they got to be close to 30 weeks old! Erin M

10. KFDiesel

KFDiesel New Egg

Jun 23, 2007
    Has always taken my Aracaunas right at 6 1/2 months to lay. Almost forgot-they need 16 hrs a day to lay. You can get an artificial light (anykind) and put it on a timer in their coop. set it to keep the light on 16 hours and they should lay.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by