Araucana? Ameracauna? Easter Egger? Something else entirely?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dobie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dobie

Dobie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

I was told she was an Araucana and would lay blue eggs, but her eggs were cream colored - so - based on her looks, some google searching led me to think she was maybe an Ameracauna. Then this happened: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436447 and it was suggested she's an Easter Egger. Now I'm wondering what kind of chicken I have on my hands!
    Thanks!

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Those legs are looking green to me. I would say Easter Egger. She is a beauty!!!

3. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    She is a beautiful EE. Ameraucanas lay blue eggs.

4. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like EE but very nice

5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm having the same problem... paying for Auraucanas and getting EEs. [​IMG]

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If she doesn't have tail feathers like other chickens she is probably a Araucana as they lack the tail feathers that EE and Ameraucanas do have. I have an EE colored almost exactly like that, but she has nice tail feathers.

7. Dobie

Dobie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Easter Egger it is then! I just got her from a friend who sells eggs at our farmers market, I don't think they were very particular about breed... I actually think she's my weirdest looking bird with a long neck and silly puffs of feathers around her ears. Thank you for her ID!

8. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Its an EE, and its hard to understand the difference between these birds. There is mass confusion on this topic that I am begining to finally understand. It has been made out on here that if you dont exactly know what your birds are what you think they are you may be an idiot. Some people honestly do not know the difference and get scrutinized for it. Then there are the people that try to sell there EE's as ameracana or araucana to get the extra value from the person that doesnt know the difference. In my own personal opinion and EE is just as good of a chicken as any other if you are happy with them, so be it. There are many different stipulations for a bird to meet the ameracana standard and araucana standard, and when there are all linked to blue egg laying its hard for an ordinary person to know the difference. There are very few personnal breeders that raise these birds and virually NO commercial hatcheries that have these birds available. I have been frustrated with the all the misunderstanding of this topic. All I can say is if you truly want an pure araucana or ameracana do alot of reserch and get out your checkbook out...tied together with alot of pateince.

9. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The "EE's" you have are Araucanas. The Oz araucana is different to the US one. [​IMG] (and by the way in Oz, we don't call any birds EE's we call them mutts.)

10. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    I'd second that it's an EE but a picture of tail feathers would be nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by